1. F/K's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

An alternative Christmas movie that's dark but ends on a bittersweet way

2. Betül's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

It is funny and lovely. I'm open for recommends like these Anime.

3. smndvdcl's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

What remarkably progressive storytelling with an animated gravitas almost painterly in quality. So much to love here.

4. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

5. pluviosity's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

The dancing towers and buildings in the end was perfect. Sort of bringing all the laughable and the body odours together.

6. Bernard Batubara's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Hilarious and touching at the same time. Loveable characters. Left me in tears.

7. Superfrog's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Unmistakingly good, both in the simple but effective animation and in the story in the first half. Regrettably becomes too hectic for its own good in the second half. When the unlikely becomes expected, there is not much to be surprised by. 4 stars because it is still very good and a must watch but would probably deserve 3 if this was a more general review on the piece.

8. tegarbudi's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Hana-san is my spirit animal!!!!

9. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

funny. satoshi demonstrates his editing prowess.

10. Лиич's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Don't remember shit but I know it's a four.

11. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

12. Thomas's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

An affectionate Christmas story with some insightful social comment. A snapshot of the lives of a family unit told in an interesting and colourful way.

13. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

14. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Bit slow to start but highly enjoyable

15. DrFirestone's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Beautifully animated, the main characters are interesting and unique. The tragic, sad, emotional and humorous (even hilarious) elements are craftily balanced. The only minor complain I have is that some coincidences that take place are extremely unlikely, and feel forced, but, after all it's a magical night... ;) The story is a reminder of a serious social problem (and stigma) in Japan - homelessness.

16. Scott Pack's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

This is the second of this director's movies that I have watched on Mubi and both have been great. A dark, adult anime with flashed of humour and great characters.

17. stuartdj's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

I watched this with two days left before it leaves MUBI this time around and wish I had watched it earlier in a better frame of mind. I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to, mainly because the story dived off at way too many tangents (Paprika did the same). Not as big a fan of the film as others here.

18. alhimself-'s rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

It's all a bit too pat, and the sexual politics of it don't ring true. There is tremendous humanity in this animation, and compassion and empathy. It's pointedly a little awkward. It sometimes smashes it, but I've seen better from Satoshi Kon and this one pales by comparison.

19. Felicity Green's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

A gripping and moving Christmas movie with shades of Almodovar (All about my mother) produced by an anime genius. Redemption, love and miraculous coincidences abound, but the visceral and quirky depiction of homeless dereliction saves it from Hollywood sentimentality.

20. raggiodisole's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

life-affirming stuff. amongst the miasma of misery you can find sparkling diamonds. great story, and great animation

21. AndrewOllerton's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

Splendid, really enjoyed. Beautiful animation, pink skylines, dancing cities, car chases, loveable characters.

22. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

An unlikely set of characters battle an even less believable set of circumstances during a strange night full of surprises.

23. Steve G.'s rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

A nice story but I found it surprisingly formulaic considering what Satoshi Kon did with the mesmeric Paprika and Perfect Blue. The changes in tone from comedy to melodrama were a bit too screeching and the ending is overwrought, but the characters are beautifully drawn and their back stories splendidly realised. Not Kon's best but still worth seeing.

24. Michael King's rating of the film Tokyo Godfathers

A film that really grew on me. Initially I found the characters a little irritating but by the end I was really rooting for them. Wish I had seen this during the festive season. The staggering number of coincidences in this film was a weakness but it is on the whole a hugely enjoyable film. Great to see the original version of a Japanese animation as opposed to the English language versions on Film4

← Previous 1 3 4