1. FISCHER's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Les difficultés relationnelles d'un jeune homme, dirigeant un petit orchestre de jazz avec les autres membres du groupe et une jeune chanteuse engagée entre temps. De l'excellent travail ! www.cinefiches.com

2. matelot's rating of the film Too Late Blues

3. El Biffo's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Interesting to see the development of Cassavetes here, working with commercial pop stars Bobby Darin & Stella Stevens and infusing their relationships with a depth that probably wasn't expected by the target audience for this picture. Doesn't have the rawness of SHADOWS, but Cassavetes completists (like myself) will want to see it anyway. Like listening to a Beatles Hamburg tape, sparks of brilliance to be found. 3.6

4. Dalibor's rating of the film Too Late Blues

It is as messed up as quote "All I can do is what I know best" (!?) screaming from it's release poster. Insight in underground jazz scene offering Darin's weirdo performance and a plot that's really hard to get into. Seems Cassavetes worked better when improvising along the way.

5. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Highly atmospheric, it nicely captures a (Hollywood-ised) sense of the white jazz counterculture. Bobby Darin gives a wonderfully nuanced performance and Cassavettes facilitates some great extended ensemble scenes. This helps the film explore something much more complex than just art v sellout - there is a real sense of his characters existing on the edge of the abyss.

6. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Solid story, solid acting and solid theme. Relationships are messy and Cassavetes explores them with no bias.

7. raggiodisole's rating of the film Too Late Blues

A hep and incisive tale of the varying fortunes and mindsets of jazz musicians. Superbly ambiguous performance from Bobby Darin.

8. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film Too Late Blues

I must admit that I'd never seen a Cassavetes film until this one. Too Late Blues is a classic tale of artistic integrity - stick to your principles or bend to a higher power for success. Bobby Darin excels as 'Ghost' trapped in this dilemma, leaping between affability and sheer menace. The film always feels alive, which drives the story, as boisterous staging and close ups help bring the characters to the fore.

9. Thomas's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Well crafted dynamic melodrama, with emotional weight and rich characterisation. A solid, mature and refreshing piece of cinema. It did feel overlong though.

10. Superfrog's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Good image and both static and dynamic composition, interesting psychological treatment of characters, some great depiction of domination/submission/pride dynamics in relationships. The story itself feels a bit of an excuse, or maybe I missed the point. Ohh, and the music, obviously.

11. Mirapeerance's rating of the film Too Late Blues

I loved this film. Can it be called innocent with all that aggro and heartbreak in it? Yes I'd say so. Emotions come through as not tainted by mechanical treatment of any kind. Loved the fun in the Park and the kitsch ending because it was more healing than kitsch. Thanks.

12. Oneb's rating of the film Too Late Blues

A hoot. The Cassavetes authenticity skews this into a filmed theatre production group and a cinematic seller. My eyes mostly followed the former thread, but both were very watch-able (the film, not my eyes, I can't watch my eyes).

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Pulp novel. One very solid Cassavetes BUT the very end is Paramount BUT, to say at least, in a jazzy way, an underrated gem. Fantastic cinema, and you've got Bobby Darin and Stella Stevens, absolutely Marilyn, you've got to love her. It's a HIT.

14. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Musicians haven't changed. Pretty girls who want to be singers haven't either. There's a difference.

15. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Too Late Blues

never listen to the voice of that one little man. Keep on dreaming. What a good film.

16. Sam Brewster's rating of the film Too Late Blues

It's a simple enough story, but it feels emotionally genuine. The volatile band dynamic and love story could easily be transposed to a modern day rock band; it's a timeless tale. SPOILER: The finale reminded me of the ending of 'Frank', in the music-trumps-all resolution. I wonder what happened when the song was over.

17. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film Too Late Blues

I found this film to have an odd underlying feeling of threat throughout "Princess" seems to be on valium the whole time, the agent looks on the edge of killing someone, and Ghost, well, he just wants to make his music his way, you dig? The music he makes with Princess "singing, not singing" sounds like something from planet Volcan where you'd expect to see a green woman dancing. You dig?

18. Tja's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Apart from an impressively cool jazz soundtrack, this is a long film which feels like a stage play, with mainly Americans shouting at each other and/or fist fighting. One more time guys! "No! I said 'No!' Now gettada here. You hear me?" etc, etc. Women's belted raincoats by Burberry. Lung cancer years later by Nicotine. Thank God rock and roll came along to clean up this shit.

19. miles's rating of the film Too Late Blues

I think this film would have been better in polish.

20. Stevie's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Clearly identifiable as a Cassavetes film despite being studio-funded from the raw performances to the drunken camaraderie. It also works excellently as a satire on those who sell out their art for money and advancement.

21. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Como en "Sombras", Cassavetes reúne a un grupo de personajes apasionados por el blues/jazz, pero a diferencia de su ópera primera, en esta la frustración artística es más recalcitrante. El director gesta a un protagonista con talento aunque obstinado a crear una burbuja para con su alrededor, autocalificándose como individuo subvalorado. El resultado serán conflictos personales. El filme es también un gran melodrama.

22. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Too Late Blues

Absolutely deserving of reclamation as a real Cassavetes work, though it has its awkwardnesses.

23. Amlethus's rating of the film Too Late Blues

This picture is from Faces (I believe)

24. victoria casellas's rating of the film Too Late Blues