1. Nan Bauer's rating of the film Toomelah

Beautiful, evocative, sad. The little boy is amazing.

2. wiwitaek's rating of the film Toomelah

One of nicest film ever made.

3. msmichel's rating of the film Toomelah

'What can I be?' Apt words spoken by a young boy growing up on a reservation in Northern Australia who is just starting to realize the futility of his encroaching adulthood even as he emulates the behaviour of the local gangsters. Film is unfortunately undone by the amateurish acting (by non-professional Toomelah locals) despite the wonderful casting of lead Daniel Conners who gives a genuine turn throughout.

4. m00untain's rating of the film Toomelah

5. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Toomelah

Minervini's Australian Vacation. With a dash Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and post-colonialism.

6. A:A's rating of the film Toomelah

A film I've completely fallen for, it is so itself. Truth set before you, dragging your heart into the earth, shooting beauty straight through you. It really was a balm, a clear reminder, an inspiration.

7. nicole Fouzas's rating of the film Toomelah

This film is fantastic. According to an interview with the producer (featured in the dvd's special features) the director essentially made the film without a crew. That is, he recorded the visuals himself, the sound, edited the film, selected the actors etc. Love it all the more for proving you don't need a world of resources to tell a great story. Also, Australians in Cannes WOO BUNYIP FUCK YA

8. Gaik Cheng Khoo's rating of the film Toomelah

I'm getting tired of hand-held shaky camera shots that cry out "I'm so hip!" The story could have been told just as well without moving the camera so much or having 3 shots instead of 1. The out-of-focus shots, shaky camera and non-diegetic noise (drumming? or as if someone had dropped the mike or wasn't careful about placing it) made me nauseous and I couldn't wait for the film to end.

9. Matt Richards's rating of the film Toomelah

Sen succeeds here in conveying possibly the most astute example of the long term effects on contemporary aboriginal displacement post stolen generation that I've seen. He focuses on a young boy's search for meaning, role models and belonging within his community that is both touching and fearlessly honest without resorting to overt violence and negativity. 4 stars