1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Torment

2. Terri Wise's rating of the film Torment

Victor Sjöström & Ingmar Bergman team for an attractive, affecting film with moments of genuine suspense. In one scene, thunder fights for the attention of a room full of young men, & I am reminded of Fellini & Capra. The sadistic teacher story gets a little heavy handed, but it's forgivable. Alf Kjellin & Mai Zetterling make me believe Widgren & Bertha are in love. Bergman's writing is sensitive. And the kitten!!

3. Aardsy's rating of the film Torment

Just walking away with my cat...

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Torment

Premier scénario du futur cinéaste Ingmar Bergman, en partie autobiographique... www.cinefiches.com

5. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film Torment

1 part Ben Affeck + 1 part Kyle McLachlan = Alf Kjellin

6. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Torment

In high we used to replace Latina with "latrina" (English has a related term). That plentifully reveals our feelings as knowing Latin is easier said than done. I had toe curls hearing "ablative" alone, but Latin phrases entirely retained the vintage, mothball flavoured paleo-chichi they have always boasted. Harry Potter launched an ill-fated pet owl fad, too bad it didn't relaunch Latin among naive wannabe Hermionas.

7. João Portalegre's rating of the film Torment

it's aware that it's a movie without being explicit about it and particularly great when not taken literally. it didn't really age that well, though.

8. anschyn's rating of the film Torment

i really expecting there would be a "violence scene" between teacher and all the school boys because everyone really fits for that role.

9. orangey's rating of the film Torment

despite some beautiful expressionistic shots, the storytelling is impared by the norms of the time and cannot go where it should in order to fully make sense

10. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Torment

Hablemos de Bergman y su guión para esta película, sobre personajes atormentados que contaminan a otros. Siempre es la mujer, la del pasado amoroso tortuoso que halla a un nuevo amante, "el benevolente", uno que poco a poco va siendo mellado por la misma. El destino es parcialmente trágico, unos perecen, otros se recuperan.

11. João Eça's rating of the film Torment

Swedish cinema was one the world's greatest: Sjostrom, Molander, Bergman, Stiller and now Sjoberg confirm this. Written by Bergman, "Torment" is full of his themes: repression and perversion, a love story that turns bad and a profound concern for the idealistic youth, death, grief and redemption. Almost a film noir in thematic obsessions, lightning dramaturgy, expressive approach to "off" and space-camera relations.

12. oooooo's rating of the film Torment

13. Matt Severson's rating of the film Torment

I really enjoyed this film. And, especially enjoyed it's similarity (story-wise and thematically at least) its similarities to David Lynch's Blue Velvet... (it also has a piece of dialogue that has strong echoes of the later film: "when you lift up a large stone in the garden, don't be surprised when you find bugs" - or something like that).

14. abbacowe's rating of the film Torment

Fascinating to hear Bergman's voice so identifiable in its early form; the script seems so quintessentially his. Really interesting expressionist camerawork, yet very different from the expressionist style Bergman himself would use in his first decade of directing.

15. SAMMAX's rating of the film Torment

just take a look at the crying wall...amazing.

16. Jugend21's rating of the film Torment

my god. what a great movie.

17. Devon's rating of the film Torment

I just love movies about schoolboys, especially when Latin is involved (and young Kyle MacLachlan lookalikes). Alea iacta est!

18. Landen Celano's rating of the film Torment

Striking photography. Quite a few moments of palpable tension. Very engaging story. Not too shabby of a debut for Mr. Bergman.