1. ada stan's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

2. tsamaroden's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

In the moment, I was quite taken with the amount of struggle and tension built up during the production and creation and practice of the dance pieces, all to wonderfully be released in the final performance. Impressionistic at times, expressionistic at others, Claire Denis has created an intimate portrayal of what it looks like to create and the things needed to get there.

3. Renton47's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

Frustratingly obtuse, and I like artistic process films! Rivers' 'What Means Something' spoiled us. Perhaps because there is so little process here, and by the end we're no closer to knowing/seeing the piece Mathilde is working on. On the other hand, satisfying to see the way Agnes begins in close-ups of arm and limb movements to the revealing shots at the end. Watch The Silent Eye! 2.5

4. captainfez's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

Not much insight, but some pretty ephemera.

5. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

6. lou.'s rating of the film Towards Mathilde

La danse/performance contemporaine, c'est l'une des arts la plus difficile à définir. C'est une recherche continue, un travail permanent sur le corps comme lieu symbolique résiliente — une presence/absence dans l'espace; quête sans cesse, épuisante, de légèreté et précision du geste, puissance et grâce du mouvement, véritable création du monde.

7. Zefis's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

The way Mathilde manages to move her arms and body is absolutely unique and inspiring. The most touching moment in my opinion is when the Korean dancer appears though. Priceless!

8. jkristianl's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

bodies dancin, mouths prattlin

9. Ícaro Drasan's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

10. sabbi irimiás esaú alzate botero's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

struggling into a rhythm/creating a flow/the whores hustle and the hustlers whore

11. msmichel's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

Underwhelming and somewhat pedestrian documentary effort from Claire Denis who should be noted is one of my favourite narrative directors. Denis attempts to infilitrate the creative process of Mathilde Monnier but unfortunately barely scratches the surface. Only the final sequence shot by the infallible Agnes Godard seems to be up to the high caliber set by Denis' other works. A rare miss.

12. Madame Psychosis's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

The memory leaves a mark. The mark is always there. And the memory.

13. arlinda's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

The idea behind this is intriguing. So are the ingredients--eloquent movement, shimmering sound. But it's just an impressionistic sketch that dissolves too quickly.

14. NE1's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

je n'avais jamais vu ceci. Mme Claire est un saint du cinéma! merci pour offrir ceci.

15. Seth Heywood's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

A documentary about dance classes and other foolishness.

16. Matt Reddick's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

The absolute best part, obviously, is the performance at the end. I could barely stay awake while the dancer struggled to compose/design her work. What the hell? I really didn't get any insight- perhaps another dancer/performer would have. It was a great gamble on Denis' part but I would rather watch 90 minutes of the actual performance.

17. Jason's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

The poetry of form and immanence. Exquisite.

18. La Schiff's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

this film is shot with the same delicacy of sound/voice and visual/space as the dances themselves are choreographed. pretty cool.

19. AnneBeatriceBaker's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

I hated this. I didn't make it through the first 30 minutes. The very first idea was interesting, and then the rest of the movie was about absolutely nothing.

20. Kawon's rating of the film Towards Mathilde

An always welcome glimpse into the creative process however I would highly recommend hitting YouTube prior to seeing the film if you arn't familliar with Mathilde Monnier's work. I was not able to fully appreciate her talent based on this documentary alone as we don't see much of the final performance...