1. tenebrae's rating of the film Tropic of Cancer

at first, film was interesting, i really liked moments when narrator's thoughts were revealed. but i'd rather recomended reading the book, because later film was mostly centered on sex and cynicism, but not on author's poetic struggle.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Tropic of Cancer

Rip Torn plays the rogue well. I'm watching it in the same room as my wife, and the c-word keeps coming up. I found this book in my father's dresser when I was in my teens so I knew it had to be good. I'm not one to really debate his literary merits. It's basically a movie about a guy who wants a free ride in Paris.

3. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Tropic of Cancer

There's really no way to film a Henry Miller novel because all his books are basically just his poetic rambling and rantings (and I say that loving the guy) so I put off watching this even though I'm a big fan of Rip Torn from this era (Payday, Coming Apart) Well, Rip is the best thing about the movie as others have said, he nails the voice and persona as well the readings/narration.

4. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Tropic of Cancer

Kudos to Joseph Strick for taking a stab at this one...it's only so-so, but Rip Torn is dynamite