1. DSPRKY's rating of the film Tropical Malady

The film for me is less successful than Joe's later works, which tend to build upon the previous ones and recontextualize them in fascinating ways, but Tropical Malady is nonetheless an interesting journey into the world of homosexuality and spirituality in modern-day Thailand. The first half of this diptych is my favourite.

2. hemachandra's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Re-watched. One of my favorite films.

3. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Tropical Malady

There's nothing I love more than a homosexual making out with another homosexual's hand. There's nothing I love more than a lonely homosexual spirit devouring a homosexual human's soul.

4. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Rewatched. Seen ten years ago without subtitles (the ultimate experience ! ahahah), i captured a bit more this time what is it about, or did i ? So personal, Weerasethakul created after 100 years of filmmaking his own genre, quite casually. The second part is quiet unique and makes you rethink everything you watched so far. The last bit with the tiger is of course to watch on a big screen in a theater only !

5. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Tropical Malady

8/10. What starts as a blossoming romance between a soldier and a country boy abruptly turns into a dark folkloric tale of survival. TROPICAL MALADY seems to be a cautionary tale about the dangers of love, its capacity to destroy and erase our own personalities.

6. Pierre.F's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Un film en deux volets très distincts qui représentent tous les deux une facette propre de la relation entre deux hommes. C'est avant tout un film construit au sens technique. En témoigne notamment la mise en abime avec la légende thaï qui guide le déroulement du deuxième volet.

7. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Tropical Malady

8. luminous's rating of the film Tropical Malady

delirious trip through the jungle of an aching heart

9. Séon Kim's rating of the film Tropical Malady

I don't feel like watching a movie, but going through extraordinary sceneries

10. bagno's rating of the film Tropical Malady

11. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Tropical Malady

High brow cinema. I can see how judges at festivals like this. The first part has all the everydayness they seem to look for in arthouse these days, and the second part gives us a poetic 'silent era aesthetic'. The abstractions make sense and the imagery is beautiful but it is a test of endurance. I preferred the second part but I see how it needed the less exciting first part.

12. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Tropical Malady

13. raghumenonj's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Unlike anything that I had seen before. As if in a dream free of guilt and restraint, this film carried me away into a pleasing slumber.

14. slugmore's rating of the film Tropical Malady

15. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Tropical Malady

The sublime ache of love. There's soooo much to appreciate and be affected by in this movie.

16. xuxuxush's rating of the film Tropical Malady

fell asleep during the second half, something about a tiger spirit...

17. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film Tropical Malady

18. Polly Dee's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Disappointed... All that effort for not that much :(

19. Diana Casanova's rating of the film Tropical Malady

la magia es captar el amor, no el tigre. perfecta.

20. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Deeply wonderful and mysterious and I don't want to add words to the transaction.

21. Ramona Arsene's rating of the film Tropical Malady

22. caitiello's rating of the film Tropical Malady

At some point during this movie, I was like "this is okay, meh" but by the end I was riveted. I liked the first half and the second half in different ways but both left me wanting more — would they have benefited from being separate films? Or are they necessarily together? The first half didn't feel like A.W. to me until the second took over.

23. David R Williams's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Weerasethakul's films seamlessly meld the worlds of the real with the worlds of myth and legend. Here he explores the worlds of fear and desire. Many have found the transition from the first half which is firmly rooted in the real to the second which is just as decidedly in the magical as abrupt and difficult - but its no more than the passage from waking to sleep...and from sleep to dream. A masterpiece.

24. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Another rapturous film from Weerasethakul, this one started as a straightforward story of infatuation between two young men from different backgrounds before veering into the mystical, metaphorical jungles of folktale. I couldn't connect all the dots between the two halves but, as with Blissfully Yours, the feeling of universal love for another equals the plot. The natural soundtrack adds to the feeling of wonder.

← Previous 1 3 4