1. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Cricket-driven magical beauty. This is not only a film, it's a queer tropical fairy tale combining folklore and sexuality inside a fever tale. Amazing.

2. Henrique Barbosa Justini's rating of the film Tropical Malady

o cinema de weerasethakul aniquila o passado como espaço ultrapassado, forçando um campo narrativo (se é que dá pra recorrer à narrativa) em que tudo se apresenta não-hierarquizado; a floresta não tem a beleza natural romantizada, os romances são cercados por espíritos de animais e humanos, as coisas sempre manifestam outras coisas etc.

3. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Tropical Malady

I adore the mysticality of Tropical Malady. Every frame of it is essential, but the final twenty minutes are on a different plane. It's un-rushed, but it never feels slow or aimless. And the final twenty minutes prove it was always headed somewhere, in both a poetic sense and the obvious plot-sense. A.W. crafts singularly unique films, from the pseudo-documentary (Mysterious Object...) to whatever you'd call this.

4. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Jul'18 - Quickly ratcheting up as one of my favorite filmmakers!

5. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Tropical Malady

This is how love works. First you cuddle and give each other mixtapes, then you're giving your flesh and spirit to a naked person who's also a monster tiger in the woods at night. And the nightmare is even more beautiful than the romance.

6. O...'s rating of the film Tropical Malady

Un romance que se convierte en una meditación sobre la memoria, la espiritualidad, un viaje nocturno a través de la reencarnación y el misterio. Apichatpong convierte aquello tangible en fantástico, fantasmagórico. Lo ausente es lo que importa, lo que no se ve, el gesto, lo que subyace a nuestra realidad “objetiva”.

7. Anna's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Syndromes and a Century hit me from the second it ended, the effect immediately pushing me into the realms of Weerasethakul's genius. Tropical Malady, on the other hand, flowed much more slowly into my veins. While I knew that what I had experienced was powerful, it was not until several days and dreams had passed that I truly felt its impact. It is a slower cinematic language, for sure, but not any less magical.

8. bachbom's rating of the film Tropical Malady

"The tiger trails you like a shadow. His spirit is starving and lonesome. I see you are his prey and his companion. He can smell you from mountains away. And soon you will feel the same. Kill him to free him from the ghost world or let him devour you and enter his world."

9. Claire Wongsutin's rating of the film Tropical Malady

10. may's rating of the film Tropical Malady

i see the potential but definitely need to see this again to grasp the richness i know it has.

11. MisterColo93's rating of the film Tropical Malady

4.3/5 SUD PRALAD....MONSTER....

12. Bertrand's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Excellente impression laissée par ce film un peu lent mais tellement beau dans certains plans.

13. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Weerasethakul is king of original concepts and throwing his audience off. Part love story between two men, part soldier-stalked by shaman/animal spirits. There’s very little dialogue in this film, making it a meditative search for the aching heart.

14. DSPRKY's rating of the film Tropical Malady

The film for me is less successful than Joe's later works, which tend to build upon the previous ones and recontextualize them in fascinating ways, but Tropical Malady is nonetheless an interesting journey into the world of homosexuality and spirituality in modern-day Thailand. The first half of this diptych is my favourite.

15. hemachandra's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Re-watched. One of my favorite films.

16. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Tropical Malady

There's nothing I love more than a homosexual making out with another homosexual's hand. There's nothing I love more than a lonely homosexual spirit devouring a homosexual human's soul.

17. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Rewatched. Seen ten years ago without subtitles (the ultimate experience ! ahahah), i captured a bit more this time what is it about, or did i ? So personal, Weerasethakul created after 100 years of filmmaking his own genre, quite casually. The second part is quiet unique and makes you rethink everything you watched so far. The last bit with the tiger is of course to watch on a big screen in a theater only !

18. cineholic's rating of the film Tropical Malady

8.5/10. What starts as a blossoming romance between a soldier and a country boy abruptly turns into a dark folkloric tale of survival. TROPICAL MALADY seems to be a cautionary tale about the dangers of love, its capacity to destroy and erase our own personalities.

19. Pierre.F's rating of the film Tropical Malady

Un film en deux volets très distincts qui représentent tous les deux une facette propre de la relation entre deux hommes. C'est avant tout un film construit au sens technique. En témoigne notamment la mise en abime avec la légende thaï qui guide le déroulement du deuxième volet.

20. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Tropical Malady

21. luminous's rating of the film Tropical Malady

delirious trip through the jungle of an aching heart

22. Séon Kim's rating of the film Tropical Malady

I don't feel like watching a movie, but going through extraordinary sceneries

23. bagno's rating of the film Tropical Malady

24. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Tropical Malady

High brow cinema. I can see how judges at festivals like this. The first part has all the everydayness they seem to look for in arthouse these days, and the second part gives us a poetic 'silent era aesthetic'. The abstractions make sense and the imagery is beautiful but it is a test of endurance. I preferred the second part but I see how it needed the less exciting first part.

← Previous 1 3 4