1. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film True Grit

2. FISCHER's rating of the film True Grit

Un sympathique dosage de violence, de sentiment et d'humour fait de ce western un spectacle plutôt attrayant. D'autant plus qu'il oppose un John Wayne légendaire à une jeune actrice pleine de dynamisme et de malice qui lui dispute âprement la part du lion. Reste que l'intéressant metteur en scène Henry Hathaway s'est distingué avec bien plus de brio et de talent, dans son conséquent passé... www.cinefiches.com

3. Loud Rocks's rating of the film True Grit

4. Richard Punch's rating of the film True Grit

The first and best. The book is still better, but it's pretty faithful.

5. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film True Grit

It hardly carries the punch of moral and ethical significance of some of Hawks and Ford's westerns ,and it's hard to state that John Wayne didn't have a better performance than this one, but all in all True Grit provides just the right amount of offbeat humor and satisfyingly rich plot points to still be relevant.

6. nematomaranka's rating of the film True Grit

"The end" slide is hilarious.

7. Ryan Browder's rating of the film True Grit

I must admit I saw the Coen's version first, but this one really holds up despite it's age. Fantastic story, I think I'll buy the book

8. Elias Nahmias's rating of the film True Grit

This film is better than the remake.

9. girlsonvhs's rating of the film True Grit

La Boeuf is a total drag.

10. Kentel's rating of the film True Grit

Two men and a young girl seeking for some outlaws in the Rocky Mountains. Naive and stereotyped. Beautiful shots of green meadows and birch woods. About Kim Darby, the Duke said that she was "the goddamn lousiest actress I ever worked with", and that may be true.

11. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film True Grit

watch both versions, my reviews: http://mubi.com/reviews/23702

12. Erick's rating of the film True Grit

A horribly boring and long movie. I really don't get why people love John Wayne so much.

13. Pedro Franceschini's rating of the film True Grit

Haven't yet seen the new-Coens'-version, but the declining-fat-Wayne surely kicks-ass as the drunken and grumpy Rooster.

14. Alice Tynan's rating of the film True Grit

Delighted to catch up on this after enjoying the Coen Brother's version. The score dates it terribly, but Wayne and Darby are a wonderful combo.

15. thepha's rating of the film True Grit

Too happy, bright and cheerful for what the whole story was about, the whole time I was wishing I was watching the Coen Brothers' remake. John Wayne shows some great acting but not all the time and not consistently. Kim Darby is annoying and other characters are either unexciting or just creepy. It was fun to spot Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper though.

16. Cromm Crúaich's rating of the film True Grit

I never have liked John Wayne as an actor or human being but since I will be seeing the Coen brothers adaption next week I thought I would give it ago. This was difficult to get through, I really thought it was garbage.

17. Sean Keeley's rating of the film True Grit

18. Ssssssss's rating of the film True Grit

really great movie john wayne totally derserved the academy award and i can wait for the remake

19. MovieDude1893's rating of the film True Grit

With or without the Coen brothers rendition, this is still a solid piece. Wayne is wonderful in a grand, Vaudevillian sort of way.It contians two of the finest scenes of Wayne's career, and enough wit to please most discerning viewers.

20. danhofstra's rating of the film True Grit

not as bad as I expected...Glen Campbell wasn't that bad, but Kim Darby was just too cute to be believed as a little girl who grew up in the West. She looked like she just walked out of a Disney movie. I also have to admit it was just too long. Why it took 45 minutes for them to get out and go after the killer, I'll never know.

21. Harry Rossi's rating of the film True Grit

The Coen's version is by far superior.

22. ardneks's rating of the film True Grit

The scene towards the end are really exhilarating. ''Oh no, he hit him with a giant-ass rock, BOOM! Oh no, she fell into the hole, BOOM! Turns out its a small cave with a dead guy's skeleton, BOOM! Oh wait there's still more, there's a rattlesnake and it freaking bit her!! BOOOOOOM'' Haha Jeff Bridges is so gonna be a badass Rooster in this one!

23. Anton Williams's rating of the film True Grit

Great story, but a poor movie. Hope that the Coen brothers do best. Kim Darby is one of the worst actress that I've seen.

24. chanandre's rating of the film True Grit

[Cinémathèque PT #525: 35 mm] (2007)