1. Rod's rating of the film Under the Sand

Even from a country obsessed with making movies with no point, this one takes the cake. Endless shots of nothing but goofy expressions of the lead actress, and a long series of one pointless scene followed by another. Every time a scene was over, I just kept saying “Why?”. At best, this should have been a 20 minute short film. Don’t understand why people try to stretch a TV script into a movie.

2. diane38's rating of the film Under the Sand

Fascinating portrayal of a woman possessed by the loss of her husband and denial of the reality she discovers about their relationship. Beautiful photography, clothing and locations.

3. Gryphonix's rating of the film Under the Sand

Beautifully grapples with one of the mysteries of grief: the struggle to believe and accept the sudden physical absence of our loved ones. Also an exploration of the type of alienation unique to intimate relationships. Excellent Charlotte Rampling performance too - lots going on here!

4. I.Camera's rating of the film Under the Sand

A great film (for me) is one where the narrative, acting, cinematography, music and the overall tone of the film are unified, where there are no false notes, cliches or unnecessary diversions. This is one of those films. Charlotte Rampling - taut, serious yet deeply hurt - is perfect as a middle-aged widow dealing with the unanswered (perhaps unanswerable) questions of her husband's disappearance under the waves.

5. zubee's rating of the film Under the Sand

6. Todd's rating of the film Under the Sand

Charlotte Rampling is one of my favorite actors of all time. A natural actor as she is beautiful. Brilliant performance.

7. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Under the Sand

We never want to let go, whether it be from a loved one, a fond childhood memory or even youth itself. Ozon’s quietly powerful film captures this fraught emotional dissonance in baleful facial expression, tentative gestures and an undercoating of grief. Rampling is a tragic survivor of a lost marriage and a suddenly absent spouse. Unnervingly beautiful.

8. Emily's rating of the film Under the Sand

Beautiful film, with an organic/understated vibe. Love, grief, mystery....a pure pleasure to watch! No extraneous moments...perfect direction, acting, editing, everything all packed into a very tight film.

9. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Under the Sand

10. Maro's rating of the film Under the Sand

Rampling is everything in this.

11. FISCHER's rating of the film Under the Sand

Ozon, Rampling, Cremer, un trio gagnant... www.cinefiches.com

12. mahdis's rating of the film Under the Sand

13. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Under the Sand

Rampling can elevate even the most flat story to something amazing with her acting skills. This was just ok to me overall.

14. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Under the Sand

Finely nuanced and quietly revelatory, this is an absorbing film that neatly lays out its stall and then opaquely dismantles it. Another insightful performance from Rampling in her Indian Summer.

15. sicagabri's rating of the film Under the Sand

4,5. Marie's reactions made me think sometimes whether he was really dead or had just disappeared. A great vision about someone that goes away and how another person refuses to process that fact.

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Under the Sand

17. Slow Immersion's rating of the film Under the Sand

Something about Rampling has never quite felt right with me.. :D

18. William R Clark's rating of the film Under the Sand

In which Rampling shows that she only needs 30% of her face visible in order to out-act the world. But let's be honest - this is mostly an acting experiment. I would have loved to see it as a one-woman show. We have one fabulously-played character venturing out into the world with diminishing returns. What it can't say about the psyche could fill, and does fill, much better trauma dramas.

19. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Under the Sand

This is a mild Ozon after releasing the raucous "Water Drops on Burning Rocks" the same year and also "Sitcom" a few years prior. Maybe trying to show the critics/snobs that he can be a "serious" filmmaker he throws this in their face and they praise it. But the raucous stuff is better.

20. Vincent T's rating of the film Under the Sand

needs a rewatch. It's been a long time.

21. cinemali's rating of the film Under the Sand

Amazing movie. Subtle direction results in an evocative symbolism. Charlotte Rampling is amazing. Really, really good film.

22. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Under the Sand

4.5 One of Ozon's best. Charlotte Rampling is simply perfect!

23. ig_____or's rating of the film Under the Sand

We all cope in different ways. Charlotte Rampling is just fenomenal in her understated performance. Portishead on the soundtrack (nice instrumental version of "Undenied"). Perfect final scene.

24. Murat Erdem's rating of the film Under the Sand

Gerektiği kadar etkileyici değil ama akılda kalıcı.