1. Ethan's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Albert Finney gives the performance of his career in this gem of a film from the great John Huston.

2. polkasan's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Albert Finney is excellent but, make no mistake, the film isn't nearly as great as the novel...

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Un ardu sommet de la littérature mondiale dont l'adaptation cinématographique avait tenté (vainement) moult réalisateurs et pas des moindres (Losey, Bunuel, Dassin, Russell) qui sous la caméra d'un John Huston éclatant de maîtrise et de charisme, ayant su rester fidèle à l'esprit tourmentée du roman, en gardant l'essence même de la plongée suicidaire (rédemptrice ?) du héros de Malcolm Lowry. www.cinefiches.com

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film Under the Volcano

5. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Under the Volcano

A performance most actors work their entire careers and never achieve. Some nice shots but everything else was a bit vanilla. Loved the opening credits.

6. alcools's rating of the film Under the Volcano

There goes the chief of the borrachos. Sad.

7. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Under the Volcano

It doesn't really teach us much about the novel, but on its own terms, one of Huston's best films.

8. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Under the Volcano

9. Erik F.'s rating of the film Under the Volcano

Lowry's novel is a more profound experience (of course), but Finney and Bisset did a fine job.

10. Mr. Dude_o_o's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Watched this one when I was drunk.

11. Dry Bones's rating of the film Under the Volcano

¿Qué delicias y horrores nos habrían deparado las moiras del cine, de haber dejado este proyecto fílmico en manos de Buñuel? Acaso don Luis le hubiera dado un giro infernal a la admonición que resume la ironía de todo: “¿Le gusta este jardín, que es suyo? ¡Evite que sus hijos lo destruyan!”

12. Howard Orr's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Whereas Lowry's masterpiece creates an internal, often overwhelming world of madness and pain, and one that is only tangentially linked to alcoholism, Huston's film is concerned with recounting the simple drunken events of the book. It contains a brilliant sozzled performance by Finney, in lieu of creating a language which can accomodate Lowry's Dantean vision.

13. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Under the Volcano is a film about worlds, and men, trying and failing to effect a careful, teetering balance between order and anarchy. What is the right dose of liquor to administer to an alcoholic attempting to steer a course between the shakes and oblivion? What is the maximum defensible amount of evil we can allow to exist in the world uncontested? Huston asks Lowry's questions through a mouth full of ashes.

14. Kespo's rating of the film Under the Volcano

It's two hours of Albert Finney drunk. I need some actual plot.

15. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Finney looks awesome,so I'll probably give this a try.

16. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Once again adapting a book, this Huston film is the most overt of the central theme in many of his films. Finney portrays the best drunk I've seen on the screen.

17. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Under the Volcano

I haven't read Malcolm Lowry's book so no comparison here. I found the Mexican scenes very credible, very close to what may still be found in Central or South America if you leave the main cities. I also have the utmost respect for John Huston for having entrusted Katy -High Noon- Jurado and Emilio - 40 films as a director- Fernández with two small parts in Under the Volcano. Highly recommended.

18. xrystyna's rating of the film Under the Volcano

I liked the book a lot, so I was a bit hesitant about whether I should see the movie. I'm happy I did; it turned out to be a good appendix for the book: really nice shots of Day of the Dead festivities, amarillos, numerous 'cantinas'... It does not say as much about the characters as the book does, but the actors are good and look very credible in their roles. However I found the ending slightly smudged, so 4 of 5.

19. Danny Bailey's rating of the film Under the Volcano

the performances of finney bisset and andrews are excellent, but the rigid direction by john huston kinda make this movie fall short of a 5 star rating

20. Greg's rating of the film Under the Volcano

The films (as the novel) takes place in 1938. There's something about its style that reminds me of the films that were made around that time.

21. Abdullah Kılınç's rating of the film Under the Volcano

''Hell is my natural habitat''

22. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film Under the Volcano

"Hell is my preference. I choose hell. Hell is my natural habitat!" Masterful film, one of my most personal ventures into a film.

23. Justin Kane's rating of the film Under the Volcano

If ever there were an anti James Bond film, this is it.

24. Luke's rating of the film Under the Volcano

Albert Finney as Geoffrey Firmin is one of the best performances of all time and should've won him the Oscar.