1. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

john carpenter's the thing of action movies. discuss

2. kris's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

3. Lali's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Another film with rubbish reviews, but come on, the penultimate fight scene with the ultimate action characters Van Damme and Lundgren - WICKED!

4. Varun Anisetty's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Watched it thinking I'd hate it but I was wrong.This is one's the best action movies I've in the last decade.It isn't perfect and there are a lot of things I didn't like but there are moments of genius in terms of editing(by Hyams)and cinematography.The opening scene is superb and so are all the scenes with Dolph.This has everything that UniSol 1 lacked.It is an action film that is thoughtful and intelligent.

5. Cbarky99's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Somewhat remarkable in the way it takes the usual weaknesses of the DTV action franchise sequel (overexposition, generic terrorist foes, weathered marquee names 'reenacting their 'glory days', cheap industrial shooting locations, attempts to set up/spin off the 'next generation',etc) and spins them into strengths. The end result doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does manage to be both haunting and invigorating

6. Xesus Duarte Patiño Rumbo's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

7. Francesco Maria Carreri's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

8. hastapura's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

I was really not expecting to be left speechless after this, but...fuck. Visceral and blunt violence mix with pulsing synths in one of the best action movies ever made, plain and simple. The notions beneath the violence - state ownership of the body, the demands of masculinity - are subtly integrated, manifesting not as expository bullshit but as remorseless long takes and the faded, abused majesty of the leads.

9. remote-viewer's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Do you often contemplate the complexity of life?

10. Jake Cole's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

John Carpenter-esque framing of '80s action, complete with Dolph Lundgren playing the Rutger Hauer role from Blade Runner? More of this, please.

11. Joe Belfeuil's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

A joyless affair that is saved by director John Hyams keen eye for action sequences and a JCVD killing machine sequence. I'd love to see what Hyams could do with more of a budget.

12. HKFanatic's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

The action heroes we idolized as kids are no longer young men. Their faces bear the lines of age and deep-seated regret. How perfect they are, then, to embody these aging Frankenstein's monsters, brought back to life via ethically questionable science and forced to wage war on an ever-changing battlefield.

13. Zach Closs's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

A film packed with colossal ideologies that never feels heavy-handed or obvious, and one of the most competent science fiction films examining the validity of the human race that I've seen. Lundgren's "wait a sec" scene dropped my jaw to the floor. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

14. Mark Garrett's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

15. wolfmansRazor's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Hyams synthesizes a lot of different influences - kung fu, MMA, Carpenter, hard-R roid films (incl. his father's) - creating a fresh take on the action genre. Hyams is especially adept at using his actors - JCVD's melancholy, Lundgren's alien quality, Arlovski's remote intensity. The action scenes demonstrate an exceptional sense of space and a willingness to let the actors fight it out without distraction.

16. ksmred2's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

A little bit like To's Breaking News, or I am insane.

17. H. K. ‡'s rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Hyams has essentially crafted a series of shots of muscular men, building an rhythmic and alliterative filmic experience that superimposes the poetical syntax of avant-garde cinema on top of a richly textured intellectual and creative discourse. In this way he creates a mythology that seeks to explain our postmodern nightmare. pqrs.bloodygumscollective.com/post/26649152775/the-regeneration-of-myth-and-action

18. Pierre's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Holy shit this movie! John Hyams, are you a wizard?

19. CJ Roy's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

The conversation before and after JCVD and Dolph's action sequence is one of the great moments of cinema in the last decade.

20. cinepheel's rating of the film Universal Soldier: Regeneration

This is really rather amazing. One of the finest action flicks of the past decade.