1. xuxuxush's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

another example of JZK's marvelous and moving use of Chinese pop music to convey the rich humanity of individuals struggling to live in a dehumanizing environment, among other Jia signature moves. Zhao Tao's sudden appearance during the dance scene was delightful.

2. liberte la nuit's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

3. Alex Ander 0's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

Disaffected Chinese youth get wild, wild and aloof.

4. kartina obskura's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

wasn´t into it at all in the beginning. in the middle, i didn´t have idea what to think, whether i like it or not. in the end i hearted it and went to light a cigarette.

5. Adriano Rocha's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

There are almost no trees in Beijing? Light a cigarette.

6. nowhere_fast's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

I've thought about Joy Division

7. Aaron G.'s rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

"The Monkey King is lucky. No parents on his back. He's free as the wind. He doesn't give a shit about the WTO"

8. Erik Gregersen's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

Some good stuff, but just a touch too rigorous. Also a bit too reliant on TV news as setting.

9. eric gould's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

"Who wants to live a long life? Thirty years is plenty enough" Xiao Ji muses in Jia Zhangke's neo-realist existential portrait of disaffected youth. Shot in Datong, a northern industrial city in Shanxi province, in 2002, Unknown Pleasures follows three friends whose restless lives pivot with China's emergent but uncertain economy in the years before the Beijing Olympics. An evocative work of generational angst.

10. kvyrv's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

''i had an abortion yesterday. do you still want to have sex?'' great line

11. adrianmendizabal's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

12. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

The film starts out slowly, almost deliberately. It could be a few minutes shorter, but that is its only flaw. Once it picks up speed, it becomes enjoying. It is very stylized and flowy, so that the director's influences are sometimes apparent, but the overall effect is rather smooth. The character's aimlessness is depicted wonderfully, with some scenes reminiscent of The 400 Blows and similar youth-in-revolt films.

13. chanandre's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

[Cinémathèque PT #324: 35 mm] (2006)This title! <3

14. Mary Anne Magajes's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

15. AlexanderKR's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

a sweet, sad film. has a nice sense of landscape/setting.

16. vincentbergerond@gmail.com's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

An original in a certain style of new new wave cinema. I am not a fan of such silencious, direct and raw cinema, away from any kind of baroque imagination. I find it is too easy to film reality like this. I am glad it is on the way out after a long lasting trend...I don't feel that lost. People should be less lazy !

17. Zachary Phillip Brailsford's rating of the film Unknown Pleasures

While I think I might have to rewatch this film, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching it the first time. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but it was very satisfying to sit through. I loved the way the film handled the youth of China, and what they're attempting to do with their lives, which seems to be nothing more than living in the moment; this comes with less-than pleasing consequences. Savvy