1. A47's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

Stick with it. If only for the offbeat rhythm, classic comedy, and superb cinematography.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

I'm definitely the intended audience for this movie. It's the kind of semi-sweet movie they used to make, complete with a Hollywood ending. Having Beatty is the obvious choice, because there's an awful lot that he understands about that time and that state of mind.

3. José Neves's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

DCP. In fact, rules apply and even quite, especially at the level of cinematography, with the usual saturation in this kind of period films, especially in brown's range. But there's something from the great "Bulworth" at the level of a quick and self-conscious editing parody and in the protagonist's portrait, an irony about the persona of his actor, as in the previous film, but here much more close. Furthermore...

4. bitterMoo's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

5. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

This is a weird beast. It's not just the pacing/editing or the morals of the story. There is much to love and much to frown upon in here and somehow I was really charmed by it, even though I couldn't sympathize with any of its characters (and that surely was not Beatty's intention) and none of the actors were particularly excellent. Maybe the badly balanced mix of uplifting naivety and jaded numbness won me over.

6. Justin Senkbile's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

A shame that this was so overlooked last year

7. Babak Geranfar's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

Disappointing! totally disappointing. The Warren Beatty version of Howard Hughes story has nothing to too with this ambitious, complicated figure and the romance undertone doesn't work for me.

8. Blumes's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

the cut-away humor of Elaine May with a warm and disciplined style.

9. MistaRichard's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

It has some ravishing production design and the story is entertaining, but it's generically told and mostly forgettable.

10. alchimia's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

horrible, but Lily Collin's performance is worth that GG nomination.

11. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

I'm...well, not exactly sure what the point was supposed to be with this film. The screenplay, besides featuring (unintentionally) bizarre dialogue and erratic structure and pacing, can't seem to properly focus on any particular protagonist. Plus, being familiar with "The Aviator," I find it hard to laugh at Howard Hughes and the events surrounding his life. It's a very disappointing return for Warren Beatty.

12. Michael Peer's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

There's an inherent charm and wit that Warren Beatty brings to his sleep that permeates each frame. The mix of film and digital does not work at all - grainy exteriors with 4K interiors? Please. Lily Collins is the real star here and makes the film for me. Beatty is fun, but his Howard Hughs is nothing to write home about and nothing to match Aviator with. This was a bizzare little movie that never really clicked.

13. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

14. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

The creepy setup of Mr. Beatty bedding Miss Collins should be vile but the execution is full of humor and feels like someone using confessional filmmaking and their sum total of life experience to entertain and move us.

15. msmichel's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

There is an absolute charm to this mess of a film that overcomes all its' foibles even including the eccentric turn by Mr. Beatty himself. The disjointed editing and shifts in tone are overshadowed by two young performers whose love story is so endearing and universal. Lily Collins and Aiden Ehrenreich are both incredible here surrounded by a solid cast of Beatty's cronies. It's no embarrassment but no swan song.

16. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

They certainly don't apply to Beatty, thank God.

17. Ethan's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

While it's no Aviator it is still pretty damn entertaining and it also features one of the greatest casts ever assembled. It is nice to see Warren Beatty aging gracefully and it is nice to know that the man has still got it. Although I feel like Leonardo DiCaprio would have been better suited to play Howard Hughes to continue what he started in Aviator but Beatty did a pretty good job.

18. Steve Pulaski's rating of the film Rules Don't Apply

A movie fifteen years in the making that will unfortunately be seen by very few and fully enjoyed by far less, myself included. Clearly a personal film for Warren Beatty about legacy, with solid performances all around, but feels like a scattershot collage of scenes that are oddly paced - either too fast or too slow - and feel like Woody Allen-style vignettes without wit or purpose. Did enjoy Alden Ehrenreich, though