For a better experience on MUBI, update your browser.

Ratings & Reviews

  1. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Feels more Proust-ian than the actual Raul Rúiz-directed Proust film.

  2. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Very distanced and unsentimental account of Van Gogh's last days. What worked for me was the chemistry between the young Marguerite and Van Gogh. Only slightly creepy that she is like half his age. Je ne sais pas.

  3. Ethan Ara's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Scenes: Mixing soup with wine. The girl in the red dress. Imitating Toulouse-Lautrec. The dance. "His many weaknesses turn to strength" The buyer points at a piece of carton and says "That's like saying this is the future of art!" Joanna bathing. The sudden cuts. Rimbaud and Van Gogh - same age, different age of flowering

  4. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Van Gogh

    An engrossing look at the last days of Van Gogh (played brilliantly by Jacques Dutronc) is enhanced by an approach to the material, by writer-director Maurice Pialat, that admirably strives to avoid excessive melodrama and fancy flourishes.

  5. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Pialat certainly saw himself in VG, the rejected genius of his own generation; bitter and with a penchant for young muses. The film is like a novel by Flaubert or Maupassant and it was intended that way, with a variety of country oddballs that pop in and out, saying things we should read deeper into, and in their own way contributing to the tragedy.

  6. Jegsy's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Stunning biopic that neither sentimentalizes, sensationalizes, nor sanctifies its subject, but rather presents the artist as a complex man caught between a lack of recognition and loathing of the art world, and a deep seated desire for validation. Impeccably played by the cast, visually delightful, and somewhat more fluid and cogent direction by Pialat, in what is his best work.

  7. mike's rating of the film Van Gogh

  8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Van Gogh

  9. captainfez's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Four of these stars are for the Toulouse-Lautrec pisstake.

  10. Al Green's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Although Dutronc played the tortured soul of Van Gogh well and Theo was well played I felt the film lacked some outlet of Van Gogh's motives to another character. Also, where was Provence with Gaugin and it's light in this film ? There seemed a few too many absences in this film and maybe one ear too many before he died !!! .

  11. Juan Javier's rating of the film Van Gogh

  12. Inderjit Sanghera's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Pialat is able to capture the colour, tone and hue of Van Gogh's art in this minimalist masterpiece

  13. goulton green's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Either I lived in projected deluge when as a boy in love with V.G. I read his soul from colours, compassion for his fellowman from dark drawings, whole universe of emotions in his landscapes ... or Pialat read all of it right in this interpretation of a self cantered, sadistic and caustic miser. Really, what this movie is about? Social life of V.G. in province? Semblance of how the life was back then? I hardly ...

  14. Didonne's rating of the film Van Gogh

    "On peut violer l'histoire à la condition de lui faire un enfant". Le cinéaste réinvente le peintre au sein d'une époque qu'il a bien restituée. Les décors sont plus vraisemblables que le héros lui-même, nonchalant, silencieux et peu édulcoré. Dur de peindre une icône !

  15. Peter Steinmetz's rating of the film Van Gogh

    I dont think this film has anything to do with Van Gogh. The main actor got it completely wrong. There is nothing of Vincents temper and frustrations in his play

  16. Clarisse Lemaitre's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Souvent, on discute ciné et souvent, les gens me disent "je n'aime pas les biopics parce que je m'en fou blablabla". Un biopic, selon moi, est accompli lorsque la chair de la personne est retranscrite par une interprétation personnelle et subtile de celui qui la fait vivre, le réalisateur. Quand la fiction dépasse la réalité, voilà l'essence de ce genre, et encore une fois Pialat nous le dépeint bien.

  17. azoulay's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Pialat, magnifiquement aidé par les interprètes du film imagine un espace, une histoire pour la fin de vie du génie. Et la profondeur de cette quête poétique, sensuelle et violante colle à la peinture, aux couleurs aux traits comme des déchirures. Il y a là un malheur, une douleur une impossibilité au bonheur qui nous transperce comme face à un tableau du maitre. Admirable Pialat

  18. Tibulle85's rating of the film Van Gogh

    (Vu au ciné) Film fade et pédant, encore plus plombé par un Jacques Dutronc qui ne sait tout simplement pas jouer. Juste à des kilomètres du magnifique "Van Gogh" de Minnelli avec Kirk Douglas.

  19. FISCHER's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Production de grande envergure pour Maurice Pialat après sa "misérable" adaptation de Bernanos. Notre sympathique provocateur national aurait transgressé le sujet pour discourir de ses propres rapport à la création artistique ? Pourquoi pas ? www.cinefiches.com

  20. Ronja's rating of the film Van Gogh

    as a fan of Pialat I was expecting great things, and yes, this is a wonderful portrait of an artist, full of space for interpretation, not vulgar in any sense (I believe most biographical films about artists long gone are vulgar, because they shape a stereotype, while Pialat manages to avoid that). however, I have to admit that it felt as if something crucial was missing, some cinematic magic. 3,5

  21. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Masterpiece. There are no words.

  22. Jason's rating of the film Van Gogh

    One of the greatest films I have ever seen. Probably Pialat's best (and Pialat is an unreconstituted God). So much to savor. I am especially struck by the seamless unified mastery of what is in fact the work of three different cinematographers. Pialat is the only rival to Cassavetes in representing the complicated dynamic mess we all are. If Joan of Arc is my quintessential screen woman, Dutronc's Van Gogh is my man.

  23. El Biffo's rating of the film Van Gogh

    Pialat Retrospective, Pacific Film Archive, 21 February 2016 http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/event/van-gogh-2

  24. Elena Lazic's rating of the film Van Gogh

    4.5 I want to watch it again right now.

← Previous 1