1. F/K's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

My first Haynes film and it was a very fascinating one. Captivating and mesmerizing direction by Haynes and at the same time playful and unabashedly campy, it might feel aimless at times but i still enjoyed. Can't wait to check out the rest of his filmography.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Hey kids, let's put on a show.

3. MyAmanda's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

A surprisingly boring film. It's over the top in the worst possible way. The style, costumes and make up makes the movie worth putting up with for a while, but after 20 minutes that becomes dull too. Jonathan Meyers and Ewan McGregor are both great in their roles but this is just a bad movie.

4. sfdgdfggsggsogfgs's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

5. Inês Moreira Santos's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

6. María F. Guerrero's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Beautifully carved in every plastic aspect, but it doesn't go deeper than that.

7. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

At the point when conflict finally hits, it feels a little bit too little, too late. So much of the movie is just an analogical recreation of the glam rock era, relying too heavily on sex, glamor, and (a smattering of) over-the-top moments to maintain interests. It eventually just becomes interminable to watch; but it is a visually mesmerizing film, even if its evocations could use some tightening up.

8. Aukse's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

3.5-4 I couldn't find enough reasons why the main character was so special, such a star in the film

9. Balthaz21's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

10. Mauro Pagano's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

11. Mariana Narciso's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

12. Samuel Righi's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

13. James Mackin's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

David Bowie meets Citizen Kane.

14. Nick Potter's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Utterly remarkable, I found myself stuck in a trance just as Slade did upon first seeing Wild. The main trio of performances are all phenomenal and some of the best they've ever done, and Haynes crafts a brilliant tribute to stars like Bowie and Lou Reed.

15. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Glam rock as the queer revolution. Free spirited sexuality, formality and narrative in Haynes' envision of an era.

16. Ethan's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Upon the first viewing of this film I didn't really like it but after the second viewing I realized what Todd Haynes was trying to do with this. Essentially Todd Haynes made the Citizen Kane for glam rock. What Almost Famous did for free spirited rock n roll, this film did for glam rock.

17. -REM-'s rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

18. Chris's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Todd Haynes, savior of the queers! 9/10

19. Thom Whyte's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Nowhere near as good as the real thing. Takes occasional sideways glances at the interesting stuff, but it adores its own stars a little more than they're worth. They take the limelight, and they're not interesting.

20. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Weird, dazzling, sexual liberated and, at times, bordering on the psychedelic or surreal, Velvet Goldmine is a fun movie with a great soundtrack and an interesting visual aesthetic. At times, it tries to be far deeper than it seems, and can thus come across as mildly indulgent, but all things considered, it seems to capture the expressionism and ideals of the Glam Rock movement.

21. Khoury Johnson's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

First viewing impression: I get the idea, and appreciate the fashion and rebellious morals behind the film, but as a story it felt protracted. By the end I was wishing it had already ended, which is never good.

22. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

guilty pleasure, perfectly captures the ziggy stardust feeling of the 70's, even if it's not a biography of the first years in bowie's career

23. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

24. Landen Celano's rating of the film Velvet Goldmine

Huh. Never knew I was a closet Todd Haynes fan.

← Previous 1 3 4