1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

3. Yongjia Li's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

里面的倍赏美津子像极杨紫琼、缪骞人和红姑的合体

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

5. João Eça's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

it has some disturbing moments but...

6. Michael Goetz's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

A tale of agonized Christianity and murder familiar since Dostoevsky, but, amazingly, given an even bleaker cast by Imamura. The theme is the wounded pride of Japanese manhood brought about by the war - not nationalistic, but the extremely deep personal and spiritual scars that only Freudian family romance can produce. The impassively filmed murders, and despairing ending, are some of the most disturbing in cinema.

7. Patrick Michael Ignatius Pottorff's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

More unsettling than any horror movie I've ever seen. No answers are given for the protagonist's motivations; the audience is left with only questions.

8. Muraki's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

a crime masterpiece. contains a lot of emotions with a lot of powerful scenes.. such a diabolical kind of living by acting, killing, stealing & lying.. this could be a diary of a serial killer.

9. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

I have waited surprise or a good breaking point . But film's story was blended with a killer and fraudster stories...I have watched a brutal character who has animal instincts... I do not think that there is a well written and deeply decoded character .Watching this shallowness which inside character's soul really bored me . there was not anything in the movie designed brilliantly. 10 / 6.5

10. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

A dark, violent disturbing look at truly twisted individual. Not my cup of tea but great if it is yours. Ken Ogata is brilliant.

11. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

12. J. O.'s rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

Incredibly beautiful, for a film following a horrific crime spree. Takes more of a poetic stance, with a haunting atmosphere, rather than procedural - as most films of this genre tend to be. There is a brutal serial killer film here, but beyond that there is a very dark sense of humour, and masterful filmmaking that even reminds of softer, more elegant Japanese New Wave films. Unsettling and unique.

13. Dennis Morgan's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

Dark and brutal the film sets an intensity that is hard to maintain for the whole film as a result the second half suffers. The direction and acting are first rate though and the symbolism of the last shot is amazing.

14. raggiodisole's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

good stuff. pacy in places, tranquil in others, it felt like several different directors were involved, such were the stylistic shifts.

15. Josh's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

I thought this was a great film. It took me into the darkness.

16. Nate the Movie Mate's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

17. joey Noodles's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

What a horrible, disturbing and powerful film. Imamura is very much the best of the bunch when it comes to the Japanese new wave directors and this is one of his very best films. Ogata is chilling. 5/5

18. Jack M's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

"He's not sleeping, he's dead! Also, he's Japanese, not Korean!"

19. Cromm Crúaich's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

The history between Japan and Korea isn't anything to laugh about but I couldn't help myself from chuckling when two characters talk about a dead persons nationality.

20. Coheed 2.5's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

The technically stylish takes on real crimes such as Zodiac seem paper thin to this subdued and unsettling take on a real murderer, slowly pulling you into the world of the 'characters', all of them fatally flawed but human, amplified by a fragmented narrative structure that avoids leading you by the hand through a rigid timeline and allowing Imamura to bring in his view on Japan. It confirms for me his talent.

21. Mike Archibald's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

Don't know if a finer movie has been made. Can't think of another that so successfully skirts conventional psychology without committing to it reductively, without sacrificing mystery. The direction is protean and possibly random while maintaining an unwavering focus- a very rare achievement. Imamura knows that he doesn't have to choose between opacity and insight- the truth is between the two poles.

22. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

More than anything, I enjoy the dark humour and irony. Though I'm still perplexed about how to "read" this film, if it can be done at all!

23. raithrover's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

Superb film from a master

24. NoOneJones's rating of the film Vengeance Is Mine

More than a little overrated.