1. La quinta luna's rating of the film Vital

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Vital

3. Renton47's rating of the film Vital

"I fell apart and took my mind with me". Can the memories we lose be found in the world or in our mind? Tsukamoto is interested where the two collide in a fury of fire and biology. This is a searching film in style and form, punctuated by dreams but always returning to the body, that vessel that gives and takes at a whim. Haunting film.

4. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Vital

What a fantastic conceit: as a medical student with amnesia conducts his first autopsy, the more he cuts, the more he remembers of his past life, and perhaps, love. What could possibly go wrong? The acting is top notch, sure, thanks to Tsukamoto's Kaijyu troupe, and elevates the material. But it's the elliptical editing, hinting at the ephemeral nature of memory and identity, that takes this to the next level.

5. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Vital

6. kartina obskura's rating of the film Vital

shin`ya tsukamoto and tadanobu asano. enough for me.

7. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Vital

Positive themes are marred by the film's abstract, elusive handling of some of the character detail elements. Vital's also non-engaging due to its clinical nature, feeling more like a dull lecture on the subject of loss, rather than a story about it. It may have intellect, yet despite the original premise, it feels too drab in its telling, failing to spark interest to be properly heart wrenching.

8. Gabriele Taddei's rating of the film Vital

Immenso capolavoro, uno dei film più drammatici che abbia mai visto, se si cerca di immedesimarsi si rischia di stare veramente male, durante ma anche dopo il film. La regia di Tsukamoto ha raggiunto ormai l'apice, le sequenze in cui Ryoko danza sono incredibili, lo stesso vale per quasi tutti i sogni del protagonista

9. nofatclips's rating of the film Vital

It happens to heard of some famous music record that a minor artist would have made dozens of albums with all the themes and ideas within it. Same can be said for some books. It's harder to heard it for movies: the strictly sequential nature of cinema just tears apart when you try to push it too far, and that's what happened here. Not a bad film, but it could have easily made three better ones.

10. Sammy Chien's rating of the film Vital

the dance sequence stilll stood in my mind very prominently. this film is a gem.

11. PolarisDiB's rating of the film Vital

Eros & Thanatos featured through a medical student dissecting his own deceased girlfriend, his memories of their erotic asphyxiation, and the careful and discerning scorn of the people around him, featured through heavily stylistic use of editing, theatre, and dance. A half-remembered fatal car accident, just like Tetsuo: the Iron Man. Thematic quote: "How can I compete with the perfect happiness of false memories?