1. La quinta luna's rating of the film Vive l'amour

2. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Vive l'amour

3. Sylvia's rating of the film Vive l'amour

Nice to watch, although I wish it was a bit shorter. Some parts were really interesting, but a few of them were left unexplained. Still, a satisfying movie.

4. MisterColo93's rating of the film Vive l'amour

5. Marlboro_Fawn's rating of the film Vive l'amour

A (literal) primal scream in response to pain of urban living and labor. The premise, a shared flat with the tenants all unaware of each other, reads like comedy but plays out as tragedy. City life is rarely depicted so honestly as the cruel paradox that it is- communal space that's made us more alone than ever.

6. spasmolytic's rating of the film Vive l'amour

7. maksym hruszczenko's rating of the film Vive l'amour

8. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Vive l'amour

9. Mauro Pagano's rating of the film Vive l'amour

10. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Vive l'amour

A strange little tale about three people who are unknowingly sharing a vacant apartment in Taiwan. I think I'm getting a clear message from Tsai Ming-Liang's films, and that is that we are surrounded daily by people and goings on that we hardly notice, know nothing about. We may be affected greatly but remain apathetic and self centered all the while... That shot of Yang Kwei-Mei sobbing is heart wrenching.

11. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Vive l'amour

The first Tsai Ming-Liang film I have seen. Now that I have seen one I wonder why I did not start watching his films sooner because this was brilliant!

12. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Vive l'amour

13. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Vive l'amour

14. andi___'s rating of the film Vive l'amour

15. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Vive l'amour

3.7 A very good film, but not my favorite from this director.

16. bagno's rating of the film Vive l'amour

17. raquel falafel's rating of the film Vive l'amour

18. jchandleroc's rating of the film Vive l'amour

An attempt to retreat from a cruelly indifferent city/universe brings together three unwitting companions in despair and exposes the secret devastation in their lives. Even together they are profoundly alone. The camera isolates these individuals, deliberately examining their uniquely wrecked inner selves while never truly allowing them to escape the city that has left them in ruins.

19. La Foret's rating of the film Vive l'amour

People owning solitude in places they don't belong. it is easy to die from it.

20. wintermelontea's rating of the film Vive l'amour

im a sucker for films about urban loneliness in 1990s asian cities (coughs). i really liked how the film explored this theme and the relationships of city dwellers through an empty unsold apartment room.

21. uenus's rating of the film Vive l'amour

22. Erik F.'s rating of the film Vive l'amour

Oh man, that final scene is so relatable. Sometimes the bleakness and general BS of life really does become unbearable, and you just want to go sit in a quiet park and cry your ass off for a little while. Vive la catharsis!

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Vive l'amour

Alone together, as they say: young people who can't afford luxury and haven't found soulmates see if they can fake both in this beautiful drama whose minimalist script sneaks up on you with gradually revealed wisdom. It's looser and less forceful than Tsai's later masterpieces (my votes are for Wayward Cloud and What Time is It There?), but his themes and style were coalescing. Lovely melancholy by any standard.

24. EdieEmm's rating of the film Vive l'amour

Do you think there was a decisive moment when Tsai looked at Lee Kang-sheng and knew that he'd never make another movie without him? Do you think it was when he was doing those pushups in that dress & boa? I love this film. I love these characters; if I was the type to have heroes, it'd be them. I love this early piece of what develops through Tsai's films as not just world-view but manifesto. And, gah! The beauty...