1. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Wake in Fright

Unclassifiable genre film, on a descent into hell that can wait, apparently, any of us. Gary BOND & the awesome Donald PLEASENCE take us on this journey, beyond the limits of the bearable. === Film de genre inclassable, sur une descente aux enfers qui peut attendre, apparemment, n'importe lequel d'entre nous. Gary BOND & le génial Donald PLEASENCE nous entraînent dans ce voyage, au delà des limites du supportable.

2. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film Wake in Fright

funny that before he left he put away the blind faith record with "can't find my way home" on it

3. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film Wake in Fright

4. Ash's rating of the film Wake in Fright

Would have given it a higher score if it didn't feature horrific violence against animals.

5. Bob's rating of the film Wake in Fright

In what is probably the greatest movie of Australian cinema, the outback is presented as a living hell soaked with sand, sweat and beer - where civilization is just a cause for longing and alcohol is the only source of quenching the thirst. Seductive and nightmarish, this long lost classic chronicles a descendance into madness and desperation - where awakening is just one stop of bad dream.

6. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Wake in Fright

The degenerative aspects of the industrial civilization of our species.

7. Ghostman's rating of the film Wake in Fright

A brilliant and disturbing look at the true nature of man and society, showing us the corruption of civilization and the brutality that results in its perversion of the lives of people who are entrapped by it. Also, one of the most insightful and realistic depictions of addiction in the cinema. One of the best films of the 1970s and from the Outback. A bloody masterpiece. Also I will never go to Australia now.

8. kartina obskura's rating of the film Wake in Fright

9. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Wake in Fright

"Stars, hide your fires. Let not light see my black and deep desires."

10. P D Dawson's rating of the film Wake in Fright

The film was mostly shunned by Australian audiences upon its release and still remains to this day a somewhat neglected classic, even though it won awards and is one of only two films to be shown at Cannes twice. It's thought that Australian's didn't believe it reflected their way of life, but others have said it was painfully accurate for the time. Strangely, it had its most successful run in France

11. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Wake in Fright

12. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film Wake in Fright

Would love to give this 0 stars for being so absolutely harrowing but the cinematography was too beautiful D=

13. Stefan Stefan's rating of the film Wake in Fright

14. Z's rating of the film Wake in Fright

A man drinks, a man gambles, a man loses his meager bankroll due to a poor decision to gamble. A man is surrounded and consumed by reprobates, lowlifes, men of ill-repute and questionable motives. A man takes part in a sadistic, sexualized hunting of helpless animals. A man sinks ever lower discovering there is no bottom. A man meets himself, horrified and repulsed at what he sees. A man awakens to his true nature.

15. SeemsLikeFun's rating of the film Wake in Fright

A good sort of deadpan horror about the cult of the small town and macho social bonding. I feel like I may have went into it with expectations too high, however.

16. Thomas's rating of the film Wake in Fright

A furious pitbull of a film which grabs you by the scruff of the neck and forces onto you the inescapable hell and extremities of machismo that rule in an unforgivingly brutal, parched landscape, 'The Yabba'. Any resistance to conform to the status quo is met with aggressive persuasion. This film masterfully depicts this futility in a compellingly graphic way. Donald Pleasance is brilliant as the ferocious alpha.

17. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Wake in Fright

18. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Wake in Fright

A Walkabout for the rest of us. What can I say...if your life hasn't taken you on your own private vision quest, you haven't really lived and if you haven't lived, you sure ain't ready to die.

19. Tibulle85's rating of the film Wake in Fright

(Vu sur Arte) Un film assez inclassable dans les grands espaces désertiques australiens par le réal. de Rambo 1. Un prof frustré par sa vie dans un bled paumé part en vacances, puis ensuite complètement en bad trip après avoir perdu son argent (et son billet pour Sydney) au jeu. S'en suit un portrait au vitriol de l'Australie "profonde", le prof sombrant vite dans un comportement primaire au contact des autochtones.

20. riraru's rating of the film Wake in Fright

It's so wonderful gay, isn't it?

21. LAB ARBUTA's rating of the film Wake in Fright

22. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Wake in Fright

This is an excellent, meandering film that I find very quotable, very funny and very dark. It’s like a stoner situation comedy filtered through a room of Australian degenerates bathing in shit beer. A man, seemingly self-stranded in a town living off of booze, kangaroo meat and gambling money, revels in the freedoms there until it takes a toll on him - first monetarily, then mentally.

23. marco's rating of the film Wake in Fright

not quite hollywood teh wild untold story of ozloitation

24. smndvdcl's rating of the film Wake in Fright

Cult classic guaranteed to leave an indelible impression on one's memory.

← Previous 1 3 4 5