1. João Rocha's rating of the film War and Peace

Huge production, but this is pure miscast! Except Hepburn <3

2. Bruno's rating of the film War and Peace

é o que é e nisso safa-se, guerra e paz hollywoodesco (nunca li o livro, mas não é necessário para sabê-lo), três horas e meia de épico, e pelo meio entrepassa alguma intimidade, até que gostei mais do que parece, é questão do que se lembra e do que se esquece

3. FISCHER's rating of the film War and Peace

>>> Le faste et la splendeur d'une production de Dino de Laurentiis... www.cinefiches.com

4. MarxEngels's rating of the film War and Peace

A 3,5 hour epic that never comes alive. the few battle scenes this film has, are its main highlights. Herbert Lom plays a convincing Napoleon, but most other actors disappoint.

5. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film War and Peace

The cast did a great job, especially Fonda and Hepburn. The set pieces were beautiful and the battle scenes were very impressing. Of course there are moments when you feel corners are abruptly turned. Characters disappear like they never existed or are only mentioned in passing. There is no scene from St. Petersburg. Nikolas Rostov is barely there. But still, I thought it was good considering the source material.

6. Theories Of Anxiety's rating of the film War and Peace

I guess it is quite impossible to put Tolstoy's narrative in three hours elegantly but I admire an effort.

7. Lorena Brandão's rating of the film War and Peace

8. Roscoe's rating of the film War and Peace

Once seen, Mr. Fonda's delivery of the line "Dayum yew, Napoleyun, damn yew to hayul!" will never leave the memory.

9. chanandre's rating of the film War and Peace

Henry Fonda, Audrey Hepburn, King Vidor, Jack Cardiff, Dino de Laurentiis, Carlo Ponti, Nino Rota, Leo Tolstoy > what more can a guy ask for? Pure <3

10. FilmFan<3's rating of the film War and Peace

A "faithful" adaptation of Tolstoy's sweeping epic is not the sole intent. The joy in being a spectator is Vidor's attempt at forcing a grand russian novel into a hollywood epic. What we get is a series of beautifully composed moving paintings. This film shows an artist at it's core. A fine work filled with success and failure, and yet still a marriage of all things cinematic. fuckin' amazing.

11. Arisa's rating of the film War and Peace

Oldest use of the word "hater" I've heard so far. NICE.

12. Daniela's rating of the film War and Peace

Pretty good, actually. Three plus hours were well paced. Close to the book.

13. Sean Keeley's rating of the film War and Peace

It's entertaining enough, but a far cry from Tolstoy and yes, many of the leads are woefully miscast. Especially Fonda, but also Ferrer, Lom, and Homolka. Audrey Hepburn is rather good, though.

14. Neil Bahadur's rating of the film War and Peace

This is a very bold statement, but I think that if "War and Peace" were the only film ever made, I would be a very happy man.

15. gojira's rating of the film War and Peace

The miscasting in this film continually pulls you out of the story. An absurd mess that borders on the unwatchable.

16. IA's rating of the film War and Peace

Vidor's adaptation suffers from a script that was rewritten during shooting, bad casting (Henry Fonda as Pierre?!), chaotic working conditions in Italy, and a final cut that was not Vidor's. Yet the film remains an impressive condensation of Tolstoy, filmed with a clarity and grace missing from the often bombastic and vulgar Russian mega-production. I wish Vidor had Bondarchuk's budget and running time.