1. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film War of the Worlds

2. d4rk3d's rating of the film War of the Worlds

3. Arthur Freitas's rating of the film War of the Worlds

The Spielberg fascination with family is kind of boring in here, but there's not a bunch of directors that can create a more cinematic fear than the Earth turning red like in the best moments of this film. Also: the effects live in time, it's really impressive.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Quelques bons moments, comme la scène dans le sous-sol de la maisonnée, et des trucages fort réussis, mais l’ensemble transpire jusqu’à la nausée "le tom-cruising" à outrance, dans tous les plans et l’hymne galvaudé à l’Amérique Eternelle... www.cinefiches.com

5. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film War of the Worlds

6. Corriel's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Besides some unsurprising hollywoodian bits, most of this film has a really good suspense and tension, but the abrupt end spoils it all. 3.5

7. Erik Skantze's rating of the film War of the Worlds

8. David Grillo's rating of the film War of the Worlds

9. Thomas Dods's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Don't understand the derision for this film. There are lots a great sequences, especially the one where everyone is clambering onto the boat. Great spectacle and emotional family beats where appropriate.

10. Kadjavsi's rating of the film War of the Worlds

11. DrFirestone's rating of the film War of the Worlds

I enjoyed the visuals and sound. The special effects dated a bit, but some scenes still look impressive. Interesting design of the alien war machines. The film achieves sense of terror of the unknown, relentless brutal force spreading destruction and chaos. Unfortunately, the film falls flat when comes to the main characters portrayed, they are unlikeable for the most part; this element of the film feels very bland.

12. Elena Lazic's rating of the film War of the Worlds

13. ceknklsn's rating of the film War of the Worlds

14. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film War of the Worlds

4.5, It is what it is, an amazing achievement to make a rivetting film of such a familiar and relatively simple story. He achieves it by using the same skills for evoking wonder and terror which H. G. Wells himself possessed. Spielberg manages to get the jaded USAmerican stereotyped broken family jive to wobble along on four wheels under the mystic prayer flags of the neighbourhood laundry. And yes, it's Gene Barry.

15. Luke Corradine's rating of the film War of the Worlds

I bumped into Tim Robbins some years ago and I told him how much I enjoyed Neil Burger's The Lucky Ones. He looked at me with suspicion:. "Of all the great works why would I bring that little art-house film up?" (...though still a bloody good film IMO). And now I just wonder how would have he reacted had I brought War of the Worlds up. This gets two stars = one for the sound designer and another one for the gaffer.

16. Superfrog's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Nothing to save this except for the photography.

17. s.trula@me.com's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Nice colour & contrast to the cinematography, & good SFX. But the acting is atrocious, and the plot/pacing is terribly uneven. The 3 main characters are boring at best, ridiculously annoying at worst. I actually spent the movie wishing they'd get bumped off. And the ending is the most anti-climactic ending ever. I wanted to like this, but I just couldn't care about the characters at all.

18. wesleyfoster@me.com's rating of the film War of the Worlds

The long take in the van! The subtle magic that makes Speilberg, Spielberg.

19. Risingson Carlos's rating of the film War of the Worlds

A pure Spielberg tale from start to finish, what I really love about it is the feedback you feel from many directors: he sets up the alien invasion using many of the tricks that Roland Emmerich used in Independence Day, Emmerich being a director completely obsessed with Spielberg since day one. It's a familiar ground for Spielberg that he works with love. The three leads are fantastic.

20. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film War of the Worlds

Perhaps my favorite post-9/11 allegory. It's a fairy tale for a country that just wanted their dad to carry them and tell them that everything was going to be alright. You can tell where the priorities in this film are by the undamaged house Tom Cruise's ex-wife presides in during the final moments. And that's not a bad thing.

21. Simon Reid's rating of the film War of the Worlds

The first half is Spielberg on good form, full of hyper-real thrills and his typical complex family stuff, but after the impressive Hudson River ferry sequence it loses all of its pace and charm. It was quite a relief that everyman Ray (Cruise) was just that and didn't turn out to be the hero who works out the aliens' key weakness - I wouldn't have put that past David Koepp.

22. Emmet Gingles's rating of the film War of the Worlds

In terms of horror/sci-fi movies, this belongs right up there with the best

23. Richard Capener's rating of the film War of the Worlds

I'm in two minds about this. The set up is great. Cruise's relationship with his kids is really well handled. The movie's bleaker and brutal than I expected. The plot does amble along, probably intentionally, but the final section doesn't transition well at all and the last sequence feels silly. It isn't a bad film, just flawed.

24. Nathanielll's rating of the film War of the Worlds

TC racing about whilst ogling the heavens

← Previous 1 3 4 5