1. Ghostman's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

A great experimental, bold in form, ideas, and rhetoric. Sometimes the technical aspects are very crude, like the incredibly awful ADR but I don't care. This is a very powerful film and I got very emotional in some scenes and can't really explain why. Nicholas Ray is one of the greatest filmmakers and this another vital and relevant film of his.

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

"I made 10 Westerns and I don't even know how to tie a damn noose?"

3. Samuel T.'s rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Infuriating. Exhausting. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

4. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

A fascinating experiment that might play better in a museum setting where the nicely observed moments of counterculture may be better appreciated and the narrative failures might be forgiven.

5. alhimself-'s rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

This rewards persistence. It is strange, and wonderful, blurring the borders of reality. It asks lots of questions of us, and the message at the heart of it is positive and upbeat, despite much strangeness. A lovely appropriate swan song. Very much of its era, but strong for that.

6. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

A film very much of its time,avant-garde, political and stretching social mores.Filmed on Super 8,16mm,35 mm and video.The film was made by Ray and a group of students he taught and lived with, in a kind of film making commune at Binghamton university,in the 1970's.Not an easy watch,but one worth doing.If only to see that the old maverick had lost none of his fight. In fact,this rebel certainly still had a "cause"!

7. Adam Whybray's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Interminable cracked genius. Like one of those collaged Frank Zappa albums w/ drop-out idealists, lost children and strung-out users. Searing moments and a few of the most beautiful last lines in cinema. Increasingly gratifying as more sleep deprived.

8. DrFirestone's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Multiple layers of film, multiple bits of sometimes random stories blending together... well, rather an experience than a story. It isn't an easy film to watch I guess, but definitely worth it. Beautiful portrayal of the 70's. Very nice music.

9. Edward Morris's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Oh Nick. Where did it all go right?

10. Ark V's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

A unique and fascinating approach to storytelling, much of which is improvised or conversational. An immersive piece of film making that requires some degree of involvement for reward.

11. raggiodisole's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

12. simon's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

got bored watch 30 mins some nice imagery but hard going

13. Clay_Carter's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

"Make it new." Ray makes something in this one. It plays like a time capsule, broadcasting the slipping of one decade into the next. I found the most arresting element of this experiment to be the black screen on which the footage plays, like watching a TV within a screen to enhance the overall tumult. It talks all at once and not at all. It captures the abstract, the concrete, the slippery nature of reality

14. DJ Summitt's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

A bold experiment for sure. In some places it works. In those places its quite brilliant. It has moments. Overall though, it is a bit tedious. I do expect that if I saw it projected I'd enjoy it more.

15. David R Williams's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Layers of celluloid. The film that was made. Behind the scenes footage. Fragments of the times the film was made in. Pieces of the beginning of the relationship between film teacher and film students. At times a single projection, at others multiple projections clashing and supporting, obscuring and echoing, meshing to form something completely different and new. If nothing else a marvelous look back into the 70s.

16. Stevie's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Cinema as art. Cinema as politics. Cinema as life.

17. Jack Stone's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

This is painful to watch. Nothing sadder than an old hipster. We need to go back further (as Ken Kesey put it, "Farther is a distance, further is a concept, FURTHUR is a bus"). I get terribly nostalgic for Lord Buckley. Haven't watched the whole movie; as I said, painful.

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

I can't help but think about the female students. It's one thing when you're in Hollywood, and you're making conscious decisions on whether to be nude. It's another thing for students under the sway of a famous director. While one may wish for a time when the student-teacher relationship was less formal, I think that boundaries are necessary.

19. El Biffo's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

An exhilarating, indescribable and totally original work by a great master of cinema (JOHNNY GUITAR! , IN A LONELY PLACE!) ! I couldn't take my eyes off of this. Anyway, any film with even one frame of Abbie Hoffman gets at least 3 or 4 stars from me. This one gets 5.

20. chanandre's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

[Cinémathèque PT #: 35 mm] (2010)

21. Ben Bosko's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

it's a great film because it isn't a good one

22. Frank Giliberti's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

It was Harper College, which split with Binghamton University, who's liberal arts school is Harpur (as of the last few years). It should be celebrated at both, and by New Yorkers and fans of creative filmmaking.

23. Karthik's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again

Neither densely layered classical narrative nor non-narrative avant garde, neither a political film not pure autobiography, neither fish not fowl, this gnarly masterpiece hasnt found its ideal critic (even Rosenbaum usually perceptive about Ray's classic 50s films, only betrays his limitations when he talks about it). There's hardly any other film like it for its portrayal of the early 70s.

24. Mark Garrett's rating of the film We Can't Go Home Again