For a better experience on MUBI, update your browser.

Ratings & Reviews

  1. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film We Own the Night

    This one is seductive; it's very tempting to overlook its recurrent defaulting to rote convention. The aim is so clearly to forge the archetypal, mythological, and lyrical from the familiar, and some set-piece sequences do attain that; then, well-textured atmosphere, mood, and tone achieve gravitas. But elsewhere, the bedeviling details persist; the narrative movement is often pointlessly busy and cop-show stale.

  2. Nick Schwab's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Gray's screenplay beautifully handles its dramatic turning points, adding more conflict to the emotional fray. It's also tense occasionally, with some great action scenes, and one of the best car chases in years held in his gritty and raw style that echoes 70s crime-thriller master filmmakers, despite its underwhelming and rushed falling action. Great final shot, as always with Gray, echoing his themes of obligation.

  3. Bruno's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Can't say that I'm conflicted. I wholly embrace this movie's reactionary implications, although I shouldn't. As far as feeling is concerned, the sound and images it runs through, it is one of most exquisite, sorry for this word, which now seems fitting, movies I have seen. What about its ideas? Let us not think too much... What roots we have, god bless our families that nurtured us, even if the case is they haven't.

  4. rllr's rating of the film We Own the Night

    The Russians did it.

  5. FISCHER's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Malgré une filmographie des plus modestes (3 films en 13 ans) James Gray reste un réalisateur incontournable, de par la solidité scénaristique de ses productions, ses passionnelles récurrences cinématographiques (les Queens, la mafia russe, la famille) et sa constante maîtrise et fermeté dans son exceptionnelle direction d'acteurs... www.cinefiches.com

  6. Absentia's rating of the film We Own the Night

  7. DarleenisHOME!'s rating of the film We Own the Night

  8. el.'s rating of the film We Own the Night

    3,5/5. unexpectedly pretty good, filled with chemistry, intimacy and an interesting storyline which makes it memorable among all the other crime/gangster flicks. and there's just something about that j.phoenix ...

  9. emlomm's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Las historias de James Gray no son las más originales. Sus temas y el tratamiento de éstos son los que las hacen tan buenas. Las diferencias entre la percepción de lo que está bien y lo que está mal, y lo que lleva a una persona de un lado al otro es una constante para él. La persistencia de Phoenix enriquece estas películas. Los 'settings' en los que ancla sus películas son emocionantes/Brooklynescos/clase obrera.

  10. EyesRus's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Très bon thriller! D'habitude je rechigne à finir les films policiers, ce ne fut pas le cas aujourd'hui... La performance de Joaquin Phoenix est à saluer

  11. Inhum4n's rating of the film We Own the Night

  12. Olivier Mouchel's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Un bijou. Une réalisation superbe pour un casting parfait (Jaoquin Phoenix !). Comme d'habitude, au-delà de l'intrigue policière, l'histoire a pour fond les relations familiales, thème cher à James Gray. Il s'essaie même ici à une scène d'action avec une course poursuite "passive" du plus bel effet.

  13. Ludovic72's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Une intense tragédie familiale à la Shakespeare, dans le New York de la fin des années 80. Superbe mise en scène et grands acteurs, dont un Joachin Pheonix déjà tout en nuances.

  14. Paul's rating of the film We Own the Night

    a better hollywood movie

  15. motcha's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Un bon mélange entre histoire des bas-fonds de la nuit, drame familial saupoudré de tension et de retenue. Pas de surenchère dans la violence ni le pathos. Bravo.

  16. henk@loftmatic.com's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Final score: 7. Storyline: 7, Originality: 7, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 7, Sound: 7, Editing: 7, Educational: 7, Title design: 7, Acting: 7, Interesting: 7, Unusual: 7, Exciting: 6, Superior: 7

  17. Bilan's rating of the film We Own the Night

    just a nice movie for whenever you have some free time to spend on a nice movie.

  18. Clarisse Lemaitre's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Incroyable du début à la fin, à voir, revoir, re-revoir et plus encore !

  19. christophel's rating of the film We Own the Night

  20. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film We Own the Night

    très bon film, on ne s'ennuie pas !

  21. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Meilleur film de tous les temps.

  22. Jason's rating of the film We Own the Night

    Fate does not mean that there is a plan. Fate means all outcomes are inevitable. We Own the Night is about fate. And in this case: no goddamn satisfaction for anybody. Wildly bleak. Almost no dramatic thunder. Yet: it's all drama. The three action set-pieces are remarkable. The whole thing seems wildly far-fetched, though it may not be, I don't know. The first and last scenes reflect one another commendably.

  23. Kamran's rating of the film We Own the Night

    A pulsating thriller as poetic and rhythmically harmonic as it is captivating. 95/100 - Amazing.

  24. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film We Own the Night

← Previous 1 3