1. Cassidy Bell's rating of the film We Own the Night

2. paul_quixote's rating of the film We Own the Night

Meh idea, great execution. I like when Harmony K said, "Why would I make a movie about someone trapped in a fuckn prison?" and this is like, "Why should I care about some guy becoming a cop?" Love Mendes but the way she's photographed is The Absolute (Self-Aware??) Male Gaze. The Issue is Phoenix kicks into wizened mode like Act 1 Scene 4, so his transformation lacks juice. Lots to love but parts > sum for sure.

3. Peter Walsh's rating of the film We Own the Night

Starts out strong and then gets stuck in the quagmire of cop-cliches... On some level it achingly wishes it was Infernal Affairs.

4. Quattro's rating of the film We Own the Night

Another great piece by Gray. Like The immigrant, this one too has nothing new to say; but the elegance of the mise-en-scène, the precision of framing and rythm, the gravitas of characters and dialogue–his direction is so solid, so charming, that he could sell the same old story over and over and get away with it. Wonder what he could do with a less predictable screenplay–but maybe that's not what he's interested in.

5. Hermann A. RG's rating of the film We Own the Night

6. NCMBianchi's rating of the film We Own the Night

7. dancingskylark's rating of the film We Own the Night

A good, old style cops-and-dealers movie. A well balanced mixture of suspance, action, ideals and brotherhood feelings. Worth a couple of hours of a rainy, idle evening.

8. aureliome's rating of the film We Own the Night

Thiller interessante, ritmo buono e buona recitazione con grandi attori (Phoenix, Duvall e Wahlberg)

9. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film We Own the Night

This one is seductive; it's very tempting to overlook its recurrent defaulting to rote convention. The aim is so clearly to forge the archetypal, mythological, and lyrical from the familiar, and some set-piece sequences do attain that; then, well-textured atmosphere, mood, and tone achieve gravitas. But elsewhere, the bedeviling details persist; the narrative movement is often pointlessly busy and cop-show stale.

10. Nick Schwab's rating of the film We Own the Night

Gray's screenplay beautifully handles its dramatic turning points, adding more conflict to the emotional fray. It's also tense occasionally, with some great action scenes, and one of the best car chases in years held in his gritty and raw style that echoes 70s crime-thriller master filmmakers, despite its underwhelming and rushed falling action. Great final shot, as always with Gray, echoing his themes of obligation.

11. Bruno's rating of the film We Own the Night

Can't say that I'm conflicted. I wholly embrace this movie's reactionary implications, although I shouldn't. As far as feeling is concerned, the sound and images it runs through, it is one of most exquisite, sorry for this word, which now seems fitting, movies I have seen. What about its ideas? Let us not think too much... What roots we have, god bless our families that nurtured us, even if the case is they haven't.

12. rllr's rating of the film We Own the Night

The Russians did it.

13. FISCHER's rating of the film We Own the Night

Malgré une filmographie des plus modestes (3 films en 13 ans) James Gray reste un réalisateur incontournable, de par la solidité scénaristique de ses productions, ses passionnelles récurrences cinématographiques (les Queens, la mafia russe, la famille) et sa constante maîtrise et fermeté dans son exceptionnelle direction d'acteurs... www.cinefiches.com

14. Absentia's rating of the film We Own the Night

15. DarleenisHOME!'s rating of the film We Own the Night

16. el.'s rating of the film We Own the Night

3,5/5. unexpectedly pretty good, filled with chemistry, intimacy and an interesting storyline which makes it memorable among all the other crime/gangster flicks. and there's just something about that j.phoenix ...

17. emlomm's rating of the film We Own the Night

Las historias de James Gray no son las más originales. Sus temas y el tratamiento de éstos son los que las hacen tan buenas. Las diferencias entre la percepción de lo que está bien y lo que está mal, y lo que lleva a una persona de un lado al otro es una constante para él. La persistencia de Phoenix enriquece estas películas. Los 'settings' en los que ancla sus películas son emocionantes/Brooklynescos/clase obrera.

18. EyesRus's rating of the film We Own the Night

Très bon thriller! D'habitude je rechigne à finir les films policiers, ce ne fut pas le cas aujourd'hui... La performance de Joaquin Phoenix est à saluer

19. Inhum4n's rating of the film We Own the Night

20. Olivier Mouchel's rating of the film We Own the Night

Un bijou. Une réalisation superbe pour un casting parfait (Jaoquin Phoenix !). Comme d'habitude, au-delà de l'intrigue policière, l'histoire a pour fond les relations familiales, thème cher à James Gray. Il s'essaie même ici à une scène d'action avec une course poursuite "passive" du plus bel effet.

21. Ludovic72's rating of the film We Own the Night

Une intense tragédie familiale à la Shakespeare, dans le New York de la fin des années 80. Superbe mise en scène et grands acteurs, dont un Joachin Pheonix déjà tout en nuances.

22. Paul's rating of the film We Own the Night

a better hollywood movie

23. motcha's rating of the film We Own the Night

Un bon mélange entre histoire des bas-fonds de la nuit, drame familial saupoudré de tension et de retenue. Pas de surenchère dans la violence ni le pathos. Bravo.

24. Henk Lamers's rating of the film We Own the Night

Final score: 7. Storyline: 7, Originality: 7, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 7, Sound: 7, Editing: 7, Educational: 7, Title design: 7, Acting: 7, Interesting: 7, Unusual: 7, Exciting: 6, Superior: 7