1. Blue Roses's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

2. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

3. tabsz's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

desenvergonhadamente aumentando uma to-read list que parece não ter fim

4. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

**1/2 Warm/fuzzy bio-hagiography, not at all enough about the work, and not nearly worthy of its cool, penetrating muse.

5. amandav's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

"it was always going to be a love letter...she's my Aunt Joan"

6. jerusalemcrickets's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

really like a 3.5 but what can you do

7. Dan's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

2.5* I'm happy Dunne chose to share what could have been a private project for his aunt with contributions from all her famous friends. Selfishly, I find it unfair that he had full access to such an incredible figure and came back with "this happened so I wrote this." All the moments that move - Didion looking at a pictures with V. Redgave, making a sandwich, searching for language - seem accidental or all Joan.

8. Cielo Rojo's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

9. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

10. mpho3's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

To those disappointed Didion's film isn't as revealing as hoped, what could be more illuminating than her own writings? NYT calls this a love letter to his aunt, and I think that's about right.

11. Pauline's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

I really wanted to love this,

12. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

Not a bad or boring documentary, but its telling a story the subject already told perfectly. If you were going to do it, maybe make it fiction?

13. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

I love Joan Didion more than anything, but this feels more like a play by play of her career than anything new or insightful. That being said, a play by play of Didion’s career is still something I love.

14. aconeyisland's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

In lieu of answering, she remains silent, drawing circles in the air, looking apparently lost while only waiting for the exact word to come as once she was waiting for the right tide to swim. Absorbed by such a steady presence, I didn’t pay much attention to the doc itself but I know it contains a nice bookshelf, Harrison Ford, the carpenter and lovely anedoctes on reluctant manuscripts being put in the freezer.

15. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

'Remember what it is to be me, that is always the point'. A really fine biographical film.

16. analeorne's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

exciting, tragic, unsettling, familiar. just like her writing.

17. xiaoyue's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

the largest disservice to this film is its subject; not because she is not fascinating, or erudite, or magnanimous with her internal life-- quite the opposite. joan didion has written so remarkably and so unwaveringly about her self that to take this scope towards her seems almost unnecessary.

18. Jason's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

Joan. Such a towering figure to me. I fervently awaited this documentary by her always-charming guttersnipe of a nephew. Has any writer ever fitted such masterful and clean elucidation of personal experience within the context of dwarfing and at-times-truly-entropic sociocultural sea-change(s)? She was crying out for this sort of treatment. That she was still around to participate (so expressively!) is a blessing.

19. Raminta's rating of the film Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

After watching this, death becomes, if ever more slightly, real and closer than we'd like to think. Because, of course, nobody has any desire to imagine what the loneliness of the living looks like: two bony, shriveled hands reluctantly cutting a sandwich.('This happened.That may seem a while ago but it won't when it happens to you. And it will happen to you. The details will be different but it will happen to you.')