1. Conor M's rating of the film We Were Here

What a great bunch of people to learn about. Feels like we really got to know something important about each of them, they were so candid and clearspeaking, and despite everything they each had a twinkle in their eye: they’d really lived. Looking forward to visiting Guy at his corner one day soon and picking out some flowers to lay at The Memorial.

2. ella's rating of the film We Were Here

3. dannyjp1981's rating of the film We Were Here

Moving and necessary documentary on the effects of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 1980s through to today, specifically in San Francisco. There’s some beautifully observed remarks and some truly heartbreaking moments alongside the staggering statistics.

4. Dean Owen Jones's rating of the film We Were Here

Brilliant and heartbreaking. As other reviewers have said, more warming than anticipated, but still an unflinching record of a lost generation and thus in places desperately sad.

5. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film We Were Here

Yes, it is a disease that affects all sexually active people but the initial devastation certainly affected the gay community most of all, which explains some of the horrendous inactivity, and even hindering of research into effective treatments, by those who saw it as some kind of divine act. The tales told here are sometimes heart-wrenching and sometimes terrifying, but outlined with hope of where we are now.

6. Katherine Lo's rating of the film We Were Here

Devastating - but beautiful in the way the community cared for and loved each other unconditionally.

7. Superfrog's rating of the film We Were Here

Well done documentary piece about the aids crisis in a gay community in the us, tying with the before and the after. Very emotional in places. This comes after many pieces on the same subject but in spite of this this piece is really worth the watch, possibly as this is is one of the best made one with the most to the point data.

8. chloe's rating of the film We Were Here

a powerful and moving documentary about what the AIDS epidemic teaches us about humanity.

9. Peter Walsh's rating of the film We Were Here

A straight-forward doc on an absolutely harrowing and essential story. A generation almost wiped out, and the few left to pick up the pieces tell their story.

10. SiIencio's rating of the film We Were Here

Deeply emotional and profound tribute to those who fell during those critical days when AIDS run rampant across SF told first-hand by those who were there and survived. Weissman captures a powerful moving portrait of loss and utter sadness that enlightens the lives of the living. It is not just a film about AIDS but above all the fragility of life and the burning power we all have to love and care for each other.

11. Pango's rating of the film We Were Here

12. stevesher1951's rating of the film We Were Here

13. depesando's rating of the film We Were Here

very good, well constructed and economic - makes it even more powerful

14. Lucas Alcazar's rating of the film We Were Here

15. Chris's rating of the film We Were Here

utterly moving, i cried constantly, 9/10

16. caitlin.f's rating of the film We Were Here

not as good as some other aids documentaries i have seen, but moving nonetheless

17. Diderot's rating of the film We Were Here

A simple, effectively presented documentary about the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

18. David R Williams's rating of the film We Were Here

19. mpho3's rating of the film We Were Here

War takes many forms. Weissman and Weber delve into a generation consumed and lost on the battlefields of a health epidemic. I was too young to understand the happenings of that time, though I remember the nightly news stories. Decades later, I respond to these personal stories w/ a touch of incredulity that it happened in my lifetime. Touching and informative. (And I remember Guy the flower man from my SF years)!

20. jim in austin's rating of the film We Were Here

I expected this to be distressing and depressing, and yes, there is a fair measure of that. But overwhelmingly it is a film of hope, humanity, self sacrifice and love. The candid memories of the survivors are exceptional...

21. Evan Schafer's rating of the film We Were Here

I think the most profound thing that affected me while watching this documentary was the fact that I barely moved, noticing that it was hard to breathe at times. This incredibly sad yet powerfully uplifting story of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 1980s is must-watch material for everybody, gay or straight, to truly understand the breadth of this illness and how it affected a select group of people. Incredible work.

22. analeorne's rating of the film We Were Here

Beautifully put together documentary on the impact that AIDS had in San Francisco gay community in the late 70s. Together with the TV Movie And The Band Played On, you get a pretty good picture of what really went on, how people cope with fear of the unknown, and how the human being has a marvellous capacity of surviving to grief and helping the other to do so.

23. Michael Harbour's rating of the film We Were Here

A loving and heartbreaking documentary about how the AIDS epidemic impacted the gay community in San Francisco. The film's narrow focus on the lives of half a dozen or so interviewees yields a universal message of hope and compassion in the face of devastating tragedy.

24. D_m_a_T_T's rating of the film We Were Here

Saw this at the Berlinale - it was really a moving piece, partially as a result of my personal life (born and raised in San Francisco, spent formative years volunteering at HIV-related community orgs), but also because of the impressive stories and images weaved together by Weissman. This film makes me sad through its study of life and death, but proud of my city and the community that survived these painful years.