1. mpho3's rating of the film Welcome to Pine Hill

"While an interesting, quiet and introspective meditation on mortality, the Black experience and the prospect of shuffling off this mortal coil, WTPH isn’t always fully engrossing. After Abu's diagnosis, the film essentially becomes rudderless [though it does] possess a quite power.... It haunts when you think you’ve forgotten it." - Rodrigo Perez, IndieWire. 3.5 stars

2. Scotch's rating of the film Welcome to Pine Hill

Again, not so sure about another film about poor Black people made by a White filmmaker, but it was nice film. Though, some of the more didactic scenes about racism felt a little unnecessary. The complex portrayal of a rehabilitated ex-drug dealer felt like a powerful enough counter to stereotypes of the "Scary Black Man." The ending was disappointing, but I still enjoyed the story, however simple it was.

3. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Welcome to Pine Hill

There is a distinctly natural, lived in quality to Keith Miller's striking debut feature, about an ex-con who, after getting out of jail, finds out he has only months to live, & sets out on a journey of self discovery. Simple, organic, and never manipulative, Miller's agreeably sparse style never veers into maudlin territory, creating a straightforward and quietly shattering experience.

4. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Welcome to Pine Hill

An honest depiction of coping with the knowledge that life can end suddenly. Shanon Harper,in his first film, gives a quiet,sensitive performance.

5. jasnest@me.com's rating of the film Welcome to Pine Hill

Great film. I started watching it in NYC, but then it froze on my iPad. Tried to watch it again when I got back to London, but unfortunately it's not listed for the UK market!