1. VincentVendetta's rating of the film West Side Story

Maybe the last great classic Hollywood musical, the one that spilled the end of its childish innocence, far from the jet set. West Side Story takes the ballet popularized by Gene Kelly and charges it with so much violence and sexuality it's a wonder it was even released in 1961. But even here, American youth cannot escape the nation's past, like Broadway cannot escape Shakespeare. "I didn't believe hard enough."

2. Shoham L's rating of the film West Side Story

man what is this editing, red, red, red.

3. LauraPalmer's rating of the film West Side Story

Rewatched and re-loved. Incredibly colourful.

4. Boyuan123's rating of the film West Side Story

5. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film West Side Story

Hollywood musicals are among my least favorite things, but who can really be mad at this? It’s so pretty and witty and gaaaay.

6. ap's rating of the film West Side Story

2nd watch. 3.5 stars

7. FISCHER's rating of the film West Side Story

Une œuvre considérée comme un des sommets de la comédie musicale, grâce aux talents conjugués de Leonard Bernstein et Jérôme Robbins et à la fraîcheur de Natalie Wood, parfaite Maria, face à l'insolente Rita Moreno, étonnante Anita... www.cinefiches.com

8. ammar's rating of the film West Side Story

9. anacecil's rating of the film West Side Story

Muy buen clásico musical !!! Muestra la discriminación a los Puerto Riqueños

10. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film West Side Story

I love musicals but I don't love this one. The only person who comes through at all is Rita Moreno.

11. Elle Johnston's rating of the film West Side Story

I'm a sucker for all musicals.

12. Polyglot's rating of the film West Side Story

13. poorlycurated's rating of the film West Side Story

brownface and boring gender sh*t

14. SpacePirate's rating of the film West Side Story

Bernstein's score and Robbins masterful choreography cover up any flaws this baby may have. Worth seeing for the "Cool" number and the opening alone. Everything else is just the cherry on top of the proverbial sundae. One of the best ever, and perhaps my fav musical, though I am very partial to Gene Kelly's work. This and Young Girls of Rochefort showed that the musical could still be fresh and innovative in the 60s

15. film's rating of the film West Side Story

A nice musical. But I thought it would have been better.

16. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film West Side Story

17. Gustavo Razera's rating of the film West Side Story

Spellbinding orchestration, kinetic cutting, lively singing and groundbreaking choreography would normally earn this a five-star rating; too bad about the woefully miscast, ungainly toothsome and painfully bland Richard Beymer, who is impossible to buy both as an ex-Jet and a compelling love interest.

18. Kelsey Hill's rating of the film West Side Story

19. msmichel's rating of the film West Side Story

Film adaptation of the popular Broadway musical resulted in ten Oscars and iconic status as a classic film musical. The Bernstein score, Sondheim lyrics, Robbins choreography and fairly strong casting let this one stand the test of time. Best in show cast wise would be Rita Moreno in her Oscar winning role.

20. jeanlice's rating of the film West Side Story

the colours, the romance, the drama, ...the COLOURS!

21. marina's rating of the film West Side Story

22. josé neves's rating of the film West Side Story

23. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film West Side Story

8/10, my review: http://lasttimeisawdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/westsidestory1961/

24. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film West Side Story