1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Westfront 1918

WWI seen from the German side. Incredible long sequences without editing where only running soldiers and explosions give rythm to the film. Karl's face slowly converting into a skull thanks to a subtle lighting. Strongly recommended.

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Westfront 1918

3. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Westfront 1918

A painful film to experience, but one which is breathtaking & imperative. Though Karl & the student are privileged w/ regards to characterization, Pabst's portraiture of gesture, mannerism, & countenance is diffused throughout. Principled battlefield tracking shots juxtaposed w/ surprising long-take static shots of ambient battle scenes & an orchestra performance. I understand why Pabst asks the viewers to suffer.

4. Log Lady's rating of the film Westfront 1918

4.5 stars. "Pull yourself together. We're supposed to be heroes." Often compared to All Quiet on the Western Front, Westfront has less pathos, less poetry, but exposes the horrors of the trenches with incredible realism and through great sound design (this was Pabst's first talkie). However, as Pabst himself said, realism isn't the point, but instead what developments and personal stories that gives way to.

5. ermete polpette's rating of the film Westfront 1918

7 ma meriterebbe anche di più, solo che nella mia scala inerente alla mia ricerca, e ciò che più si avvicina al suo rapporto con una oggettiva onestà, in modo tale di essere vagamente utile al prossimo, un film del genere può essere apprezzato fino ad un certo punto

6. Braden Vallenères's rating of the film Westfront 1918

A stunning war film with exceptional camerawork, sound design, and production design.

7. Aardsy's rating of the film Westfront 1918

I dare say war is not pretty.

8. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Westfront 1918

9. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Westfront 1918

Recall the moment when a mother, after seeing her son, who has been in the war for a year and a half, in the street, controls herself saying "I've been waiting in line all morning". That's intelligence in depicting the dialogue between emotions and needs, and confusing the viewer's expectatives, improving the experience. All the film maintains this level of brilliance.

10. Mark Ayala's rating of the film Westfront 1918

I was just thinking why this site didn't have this masterpiece of WWI cinema. I'm glad it's now here!