1. o_oo's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

aren't you lonely sometimes?

2. Mellow Dude's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

3. FISCHER's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Sans aucun lyrisme surnuméraire ni débordement mélodramatique lacrymal, avec une étonnante actrice (Hideko Takamine) d'une époustouflante présence scénique, une œuvre solide et prenante qui évite adroitement tout jugement moral sentencieux et condamnation intempestive, pour se cantonner dans une efficace description quasiment entomologique d'un milieu sociologique spécifique. www.cinefiches.com

4. ø's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

A sexist and misogynistic pile of crap

5. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

6. ihor's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Melodrama at it's finest that's not merely a play on emotions, but a complex look at the place of women in post-WWII Japan and struggle to establish oneself outside of the subservience of a male dominated world. The struggle to decide how to basically live, and maintain virtue amidst a world of corruption. Naruse camera work isn't revolutionary, but still compelling with it's focus on the herione Keiko.

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

8. Mark Tallo's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

I just loved everything about this movie.

9. pascal's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

10. Au Hasard's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Hideko Takamine - Gena Rowlands japonesa?

11. HSBilly's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

i can't describe it, but i'm sure i love it.

12. Drew Kelly's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Illusions stacked on themselves, leading creator and audience astray. Do we ever see the real Keiko "Mama" here?

13. Muraki's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

contains alot of portraits.

14. paxy's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

15. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Second Naruse, even better than the first. Once again a wonderful balance between serious social drama and a light playful humanist affair. Fantastic storytelling, beautifully photographed in widescreen black and white, and a perfect ending once again

16. Sơn Nguyễn's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

I think this movie lacks something to be 5 stars. The acting is good, the directing, the soundtrack is also good. The woman's story is interesting (sometimes not like the scene in her mother's home), but overal, I feel it still can't reach the 5 stars.

17. Dignan's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

18. Patlabor's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs is often considered one of Mikio Naruse's best (sligthly beyond Floating Clouds) and it's one of my favorite movies from post-war Japan. It tells the story of the bar hostess Keiko who, as a mama-san, holds some authority and power within her society. She is facing a crossroad in her life; should she marry, or open her own bar?

19. Hooligan69's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Watched this for the first time this morning. Excellent movie. My introduction to the works of Mikio Naruse.

20. M Klein's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Does that Narusean trick of making you actually lose sympathy with the main character as the film progresses.

21. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

This is one of my favourite Mikio Naruse films, and it just happens to feature Tatsuya Nakadai and Hideko Takamine onscreen together, two of my favourite Japanese film stars. I've re-watched this classic in memory of the late Keiko Awaji who passed away on January 11.

22. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960) Onna ga kaidan wo agaru toki DIR Mikio Naruse Her soul was redeemed at the train station - by love, not money. _It had been a bleak ordeal, like a harsh winter. But the trees that line the streets can sprout new buds no matter how cold the wind. I too must be just as strong as the winds that gust around me._

23. Lumière's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Takamine emotes oh so wonderfully. She can convey nearly anything with the tiniest movement of her eyelids or pupils. One of my absolute favorite Japanese movies.

24. Matthew Martens's rating of the film When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

A meticulous, quietly devastating slice of genteel squalor, in which the relationship between dignity and independence is not only inverse, it's perverse -- neither is really possible given the pressures of economic need and social expectation. The best outcome available for these women is that they accept and excel at the roles in which they find themselves cast, and have their faces ready at the top of the stairs.