1. Sơn Phước's rating of the film Wild Reeds

All the youthful days. French version.

2. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Delightful! Every scene is vibrant, full of life, as the characters orbit one another and each awakens to the complexities of their own world. One of the best takes on adolescence I’ve ever seen. Never condescending or aloof, we’re brought fully into the unfolding picture of youth and the fleeting passage of time. A perfect ending.

3. ShawnD's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Disappointing. Perhaps it was the translations, but the dialogue felt stilted and the acting wooden, especially in key scenes. I'm not sure why it was necessary to set the film in 1962, while there is period music, the revolution taking place in cinema in that year is only alluded to via movie posters. Perhaps Techine didn't want to be too explicit. Fine as far as it goes, but I've seen these topics handled better.

4. Adam GR's rating of the film Wild Reeds

A refreshingly honest, serpentining bildungsroman about a quartet of students on the precipice of self-expression. An amorous, hormonal, philosophical French summer. André Téchiné has an omniscient vision and likes to flex his camerawork, resulting in something breezy and intimate. My favorite thing is Gaël Morel stuffing his face full of crêpes while watching Stéphane Rideau play rugby shirtless. "Je suis un pédé!"

5. Declan Bond's rating of the film Wild Reeds

the brief: What is the meaning of love in the age of political hypocrisy?

6. Erik F.'s rating of the film Wild Reeds

7. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Alienating in an interesting way. The way the characters strike a balance between being earnest and critical, yet naive and indifferently self-centered feels rather true to the way teenagers are. Granted, the movie takes a very long time to become completely immersive. And there's perhaps an overemphasis on the idea that life flows, turning those who experience into passive victims. But it's worth watching.

8. untitled's rating of the film Wild Reeds

It's an alright movie. I was very turned off by the soundtrack, such a easy bail to rip off American Graffiti. And you just can't used Samuel Barber's music after the Elephant man's success, you just can't. I really don't know why this thing got so many ceasar awards, maybe that year was bad? However, all the young actors did a great job, though. Great cinematography and camera movement. Everything else, not so much.

9. Rod's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Amazing film, especially considering it was 1962. Lots of elements and styles: gay film, coming of age film, political film, with some philosophical musings, and a lot of fun. I know, a French film that was fun. Who knew?!?!

10. lemonish5's rating of the film Wild Reeds

A very tender rumination on adolescence, politics, friendship, sexuality, and the ways in which they are all bound up in each other, set against the verdant environs of the Dordogne. Maïté wishes she were older, while on the other side of youth, I would give much to be again made clean, to suffer the arrows of immaturity and be reformed.

11. Martin's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Lovely film. I was glad to be French, because the subtitles sometimes made no sense. At some point “Today is Monday” is translated by “Emma”. (there’s no one by that name in the movie). I’d say 5-10% of the subtitles have nothing to do with what’s being said... I think the movie is still totally watchable but probably good to know beforehand!

12. Jen's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Beautifully shot and crafted story of three boys and one girl ~20 years old. The pacing drew me in; it unfolded to reveal increasingly complex characters, relationships, and story lines. The extreme close-ups are gorgeous (but unfortunately obscured at times by the subtitles). Visually and emotionally memorable. Topics: love, war, friendship, politics, and sexual identity.

13. wdrazo's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Coming of age movies can be so boring. Pleasantly surprised by the characters' complexity and astonished by the beautiful locales, Wild Reeds exceeds where others have many difficulties. We love and dislike all the leading characters for the depth of feeling or their emptiness. With the Algerian War's end as a backdrop, you can see how it changes them all, from their prejudices to their desires. I could go on.

14. Loz Loory's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Tad on the long side, but worth it for the performances. Loved the teacher's conflicted relationship with her former student. The four young people were well-written and affecting. Henri's hatred for the Algerians prevents him from moving forward in a positive direction. Francois' meeting with the shoe salesman is poignant as two generations collide. Appreciated Maite's honesty about her feelings. Gorgeous last shot.

15. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Wild Reeds

I want to watch every André Téchiné after this gay ass film!

16. Artem Eihart's rating of the film Wild Reeds

[not only] Élodie Bouchez's charmig talks

17. FISCHER's rating of the film Wild Reeds

>>> Un film d'une rare intensité porté par une mise en scène lumineuse... www.cinefiches.com

18. ammar's rating of the film Wild Reeds

19. Polyglot's rating of the film Wild Reeds

I love hearing American pop songs in foreign films.

20. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film Wild Reeds

21. Vincent T's rating of the film Wild Reeds

4 in the morning, there's no one around. You and Wild Reeds. Watching the images rolling by. Who am I? Who are you? Why have we met, and where is all of this going to lead? It is the mysteries of the characters and of life that I want to keep. Four students gradually understand the feelings budding inside them. Death and distance. None of it will matter anymore when you have hope in the feeling to continue.

22. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Wild Reeds

My favorite film by this director. A sensitive exploration of the painfulness of adolescence, and both the anxiety and beauty of budding sexuality.

23. Jye Sherwell's rating of the film Wild Reeds

Can't believe it was only made in '94. The filmmaking seems like it's right out of the 70's or something (that's a compliment). It dwindles a bit in the middle and towards the end, but then it hits probably its best marks in the final act. The characters could have been fleshed out more, but in a film with pacing like this, it would have gone on too long if they tried to. So not great, but some good stuff in it.

24. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Wild Reeds