1. Kevin's rating of the film Wind from the East

These films fill a void, a time when the US could not see these Marxist marvels readily attack the establishment yet maintain the idea the people are the state, and the state is responsible for the people, not profit motive. Nationalized healthcare, energy, auto, etc. Today that most closely resembles the 1980s trickle down debacle, Godard’s approach is more than necessary. Use first names, initials if possible…

2. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Wind from the East

More interesting for its concept than its execution. There are elements that are interesting and funny but ultimately this is a piece designed to forbid passive viewing. Instead we are meant to think (hard!) and critique our bourgeois assumptions about the purpose of film and engage critically with the polemic. A bit of a slog but, regardless, it has the virtues of ambition and an admirable refusal to compromise.

3. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Wind from the East

Brecht/Artaud meets Sergio Leone. Images of the past superimposed on the present. The Revolutionary Moment. Question everything. What is cinema? You will not be allowed to be passive. You must allow yourself to think or you must flee the theater. What is it that fails and what is rewarded? Is revolutionary cinema possible? To act.

4. Superfrog's rating of the film Wind from the East

Pretentious but works somewhat, which can not always be said of Godard's political films. The first part on the mechanisms of strike is a good with minimal distraction through Eisenstein's critique. The second part is overly generic and self centred and did not bring me much.

5. Jason's rating of the film Wind from the East

What was May '68? Among other things it was a great big delirious inspiring mess. So it is w/ LE VENT D'EST. While we may wish to frame it otherwise, we have to face that Godard and his co-conspirators have doubled down hard on Marxist-Leninist orthodoxy. However, in trying to show us how to do militant cinema, they create a machine that runs so hot it might explode. Which is how we would have it. No? Right.

6. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Wind from the East

Cinema is inherently fascist and bourgeois in the eyes of Godard. He pushes it towards its natural end, self destruction, so that it can be reborn as Marxist propaganda and political musings.

7. zubee's rating of the film Wind from the East

cinematography was lovely otherwise rather funny.

8. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film Wind from the East

Interesting, maybe even important. I don't have the background to be able to fully appreciate this, but I felt a bit like the Indian trying to eat the copy of How to Read Capital. Does autocriticality excuse all? It seems doubtful.

9. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Wind from the East

Nope, another tiresome lecture that didn't work for me. And I find it strange that more people don't find it more hypocritical to be told how to rise up and defeat the ruling class by voices that seem to have been more educated and privileged than a lot of the viewers being patronised. And don't start me on the childishly simplistic statements that are supposed to be deep and meaningful. Urgh!

10. Shea's rating of the film Wind from the East

An interesting work of that both critiques political film while being a political film.

11. Chearth's rating of the film Wind from the East

12. Darren Green's rating of the film Wind from the East

There's so much going on in this and the other Dziga Vertov Groupe films, it's hard to take it all in without the pre-knowledge of the events. Either way, a challenging watch, but you come out of the other side wanting to start your own revolution, or just do something active or constructive, or find ways to re-invent cinema for your own generation - compelling.

13. Pango's rating of the film Wind from the East

Terrible. I think if there was someone less know behind the camera instead than Godard, this film would have a unanimous 1 star from all the reviewers. It's an excruciating tedious diatribe with one of the worse acting, and execution ever seen on screen. Paradoxically, this film can only ever being appreciated by intellectual of the bourgeoisie culture he criticises so much.

14. Delaney's rating of the film Wind from the East

Watched it four times in a row to make sure I caught everything. Likely will again.

15. David Perez's rating of the film Wind from the East

As misguided and inconsequential as any other thing Godard was involved in.

16. K.0's rating of the film Wind from the East

17. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Wind from the East

wow this will be too funny in a thousand years from now

18. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film Wind from the East

Some great images but also some rather tedious sections.

19. Clarice the Specter's rating of the film Wind from the East

bless ubu: http://www.ubu.com/film/vertov_vent.html

20. Edges and Ridges's rating of the film Wind from the East

Del Monte blood + dzigantic paranoia makes a kind of noble failure that no other directors would have done.

21. Manny Lage's rating of the film Wind from the East

Post-68 theory realized through the cinema.