1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Winter Light

I often wonder whether Ingmar Bergman could have become the Bergman we know in our period of anxiolytics and antidepressants. Anyway, 'Winter Light' is a masterpiece, no doubt about this.

2. dionysus67's rating of the film Winter Light

One of the many Bergman masterpieces with the director here in an austere mood that matches perfectly the spiritual vacancy of characters. From the church's interiors to the petrified face of a truly excellent Björnstrand and the horrendous in its serenity tragedy, Bergman sculpts nothingness itself and in doing it so masterfully he gives (our) existence meaning. A phenomenal and multi-layered existentialist essay.

3. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Winter Light

4.2 A kind of metaphysical endgame. Strangely beautiful in its clarity.

4. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film Winter Light

nauseating pontification of despair. I wish that the always impending threat of the end of the world turned into THIS is the end of the world so that we can move over.

5. Jim's rating of the film Winter Light

★★★★★ /DCP/ Bergman’s film of a broken priest is sublime brilliance, immersed in deeply realized scenes of spiritual anguish and emotional pain, stunningly filmed by Nykvist, who vividly captures the emptiness of the church and barren scarred winter landscape. Impeccably performed by Bjornstrand, Thulin and Von Sydow. A work of breathtaking genius.

6. postblueink's rating of the film Winter Light

9.5/10 (22.11.2015) Bergman puts the problems of faith in God, which are so close for me. The desire to believe, but inability to feel. Märta shows and my perception too. Gunnar Björnstrand and Ingrid Thulin are expelled all my strength. .... 9.5/10 (25.07.2018). спасибо за эту радость и боль, Ингмар. Любимейший.

7. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Winter Light

"Why must I suffer so hellishly for my insignificance? If there is a purpose to my suffering, then tell me, so I can bear my pain without complaint. I'm strong. You made me so very strong in both body and soul, but you never give me a task worthy of my strength. Give my life meaning, and I'll be your obedient slave."

8. Quattro's rating of the film Winter Light

I have to say that I'm not that much into the whole silence-of-God thing, so I may not be able to give this all the credit it deserves. Apart from that I appreciated the (as usual) gorgeous black and white cinematography, and the oh so bittersweet relationship between Björnstrand and Thulin: glacial and sorrowful, but with one single note of vulnerability and warmth that makes all the difference in the world.

9. Mario C.'s rating of the film Winter Light

A sober but intense film, which runs on two related channels: the crisis of a man facing the "silence of God" and his loneliness, his "closing" after the loss of love. The drama of the film derives above all from the tormented and unsuccessful search for a divine sign, which takes the protagonist away from other human beings. Ambiguous and open final.

10. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Winter Light

among the darkest of Bergman's films, 'winter light' focuses on a priest whose parish has failed him just as much as he has failed them, or is it both he and them who have failed God, or God who has failed them all? an incredibly resourceful film, unpacking a singular event into a string of private conversations taking the viewer deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole of faith.

11. tinderness's rating of the film Winter Light

Einsamkeit in einer gottlosen Welt ohne Trost oder Verstehen; damals als Verzweifelte noch Briefe schrieben, um das sagen zu können, was sie nicht zu sprechen wagten. Es ist kalt an diesem Wintertag im verlassenen protestantischen Norden. Eine grandiose Ingrid Thulin in einer klassischen Rollenverteilung zwischen Mann und Frau.

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Winter Light

Bergman tries to murder God again. Of course it's all about context, and so killing God in the '60s was a much bigger deal. I know I was still under the thrall.

13. jewelsofglory's rating of the film Winter Light

A beautiful film, however my least favourite out of the triology

14. film_frame's rating of the film Winter Light

Are we alone is this existence? Bergman seeks to explore the existential juxtaposition of faith and reality, and finds a somewhat lonely yet middling peace.

15. Rui's rating of the film Winter Light

A superb representation of transition from religion and faith to humanist based compassion. 5+stars.

16. SpacePirate's rating of the film Winter Light

Bergman certainly knew how to probe areas of morality, faith, despair, and introspection more than any other "classic" filmmaker, and Winter Light is no exception. Beautifully photographed by Nykvist and featuring memorable performances by all involved (even with so many top notch movies in all their respective careers!), this one is not to be missed. Essential world cinema. 5 easy stars

17. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Winter Light

A sublimely austere film about the exquisitely unbearable state of being, with the impossibility of a fatherly god made manifest in robotic religious procedure and inevitable crises of faith. The deftness and delicacy of how these conflicts are played out is magnificently achieved through the most sombre of filmic means, finding a redemption in a kind of compassion if not love and certainly no resolution. Superb.

18. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Winter Light

Religion was a common factor in Bergma’s work, but in none more stronger than Winter’s Light, as it focused on a Pastor’s struggle with deteriorating faith. Perhaps his most personal of the faith trilogy focusing more on humanity’s wish to believe/incapability to believe rather than god itself.

19. Ethan's rating of the film Winter Light

There is just something about this film that feels overtly sexual to me. Gunnar Bjornstrand is nothing short of brilliant here as a preacher with a crisis of faith on Bergman's ongoing quest to find the truth in spirituality.

20. Luca's rating of the film Winter Light

21. Aardsy's rating of the film Winter Light

A masterclass in the pain of rejection.

22. Roy Deckard's rating of the film Winter Light

"Once and for all I have to escape this junkyard of idiotic trivialities."

23. Dzernera's rating of the film Winter Light

I see this as a story on the natural human longing for purpose, for meaning, love&approval. Yet what happens when you realize that the effort you've made your whole life turns out to be fruitless, that it's possible to live in lies&denial but at what costs? We're all alone in this search for greater meanings after all&Bergman as usually has managed to masterfully reach the darkest chambers of one's troubled mind.

24. Bekriah M's rating of the film Winter Light

Brilliant depiction of the question of faith, but not only.

← Previous 1 3 4 5