1. ConorKennedy's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Woman in the Dunes can be a metaphor for whatever you want it to be. I see it as a visual depiction of the hopelessness of life. My boyfriend thought it was a commentary on the battle of the sexes. The black and white cinematography is some of the best i’ve seen. You could almost feel the stickiness of the heat, and the seeping of the sand.

2. Ben Nash's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

3. DSPRKY's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Beautifully shot existentialist cinema.

4. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

The painfully simple plot and awkwardly blatant symbols are about as elegant as a toilet, yet about as essential as one... And the photography polishes this piece of shit into about the most precious gemstone I've seen...

5. Raum's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

6. Panda's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Quite beautiful, thought provoking

7. Barrett.'s rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Everything about Woman in the Dunes is perfect. Unequivocal masterpiece.

8. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

9. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Becoming insect and subjected to being a living exhibit.

10. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Rewatch of a 35mm print curated by Virginia Dwan. What can one say...it's justifiably a classic and everything you admired about it back in college still works today. Narratively and thematically, I think Abe's novella is better at conveying the characters' thoughts and emotions. But as far as straight-up emotional imagery is concerned, the film is a technical masterpiece, even if it belabors that imagery at times.

11. Daishi's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Merveilleuse fable fantastique sur l'enfermement, entre érotisme torride et réflexion existentielle... www.cinefiches.com

13. choupinet's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

I enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoyed the original work of Kōbō Abe. The ambiance of constant claustrophobia really came through.

14. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

15. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Are you shoveling sand to live, or living to shovel sand? Profound. Absolutely amazing. I haven't seen anything like this since... I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. All these close takes of skin covered in sand. Even trapped, we're still building traps. Would I escape?

16. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

[More like 4.5] Kobo Abe wrote the 砂の女 novel first, then wrote the screenplay for Teshigahara's movie: the result is a very close adaptation of the book, yet the narrative never reaches even a slight level of boreness. The construction of setting and characters is compelling, as the viewer feels lost and trapped as much as anyone that would be living such events. The story of having no identity in a signature movie.

17. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

It was good. It was like watching the old Twilight Zone TV program. Except no Rod Serling saying, " Imagine you are looking for bugs at the beach and realize you missed the last train,,,,,,,"

18. Kseven's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

19. Isabelle B's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

love the costumes, someone take screenshots of all the beautiful textiles

20. das Kino's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Discordant score, claustrophobia, skin, sand and futility. I think this is the most petrifying film I have ever seen.

21. jonijtr's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Usually, a film that makes me say "FUCK!" at the end deserved 10/10 from me, this time, i scream

22. patchwork's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Inquietante, sensuale, allegorico, visionario. Magnificenza visiva e formale. Folgorante.

23. Aardsy's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

True horror is sand in every crevice.

24. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

(...) Mann und Frau, sie können nicht entkommen. Von ihnen hängt das Schicksal der Gemeinde ab und davon das der ganzen Welt. Dann aber findet er heraus, wie die Wasserpumpe in der Düne funktioniert. Immer noch sind sie gefangen, aber von nun an werden die Lebensbedingungen im Sand ein bisschen besser... (Dazu gibts unsere Film List der japanischen Klassiker auf cinegeek.de

← Previous 1 3 4 5