1. Disa's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

new found anxiety. thanks.

2. samira's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

3. Bob's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Dark cinematography that sweeps otherwise sun bathed landscapes such as desert or a beach - combined with high pitched strings and ambient sounds - creates an unique movie experience that will never feel dated. Except for that, there's nothing else to get through this excruciating two hours. It fails to create desperation, eroticism, alienation or any other feel that was promised by the synopsis or the screenshots.

4. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

So many levels to it...in the sand... 4.5

5. B o g d a n's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

6. Loud Rocks's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

7. ConorKennedy's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Woman in the Dunes can be a metaphor for whatever you want it to be. I see it as a visual depiction of the hopelessness of life. My boyfriend thought it was a commentary on the battle of the sexes. The black and white cinematography is some of the best i’ve seen. You could almost feel the stickiness of the heat, and the seeping of the sand.

8. Ben Nash's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

9. DSPRKY's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Beautifully shot existentialist cinema.

10. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

The painfully simple plot and awkwardly blatant symbols are about as elegant as a toilet, yet about as essential as one... And the photography polishes this piece of shit into about the most precious gemstone I've seen...

11. Raum's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

12. Panda's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Quite beautiful, thought provoking

13. Barrett.'s rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Everything about Woman in the Dunes is perfect. Unequivocal masterpiece.

14. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

15. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Becoming insect and subjected to being a living exhibit.

16. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Rewatch of a 35mm print curated by Virginia Dwan. What can one say...it's justifiably a classic and everything you admired about it back in college still works today. Narratively and thematically, I think Abe's novella is better at conveying the characters' thoughts and emotions. But as far as straight-up emotional imagery is concerned, the film is a technical masterpiece, even if it belabors that imagery at times.

17. Daishi's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

18. FISCHER's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Merveilleuse fable fantastique sur l'enfermement, entre érotisme torride et réflexion existentielle... www.cinefiches.com

19. choupinet's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

I enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoyed the original work of Kōbō Abe. The ambiance of constant claustrophobia really came through.

20. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

21. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

Are you shoveling sand to live, or living to shovel sand? Profound. Absolutely amazing. I haven't seen anything like this since... I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. All these close takes of skin covered in sand. Even trapped, we're still building traps. Would I escape?

22. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

[More like 4.5] Kobo Abe wrote the 砂の女 novel first, then wrote the screenplay for Teshigahara's movie: the result is a very close adaptation of the book, yet the narrative never reaches even a slight level of boreness. The construction of setting and characters is compelling, as the viewer feels lost and trapped as much as anyone that would be living such events. The story of having no identity in a signature movie.

23. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes

It was good. It was like watching the old Twilight Zone TV program. Except no Rod Serling saying, " Imagine you are looking for bugs at the beach and realize you missed the last train,,,,,,,"

24. Kseven's rating of the film Woman in the Dunes