1. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Wonderful Town

"If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it..." City boy meets country girl, city boy woos country girl, country folk get all suspicious of city boy. Quintessential art-house film. Not a bad thing, really. Just not a great thing. But many good things: no special effects, top-notch cinematography, and a landscape that is at once both beautiful and desolate. In a way, the woman mirrors the landscape.

2. Feng Ling's rating of the film Wonderful Town

after a collective tragedy and destruction of tsunami magnitude, an outsider personified a local people's desire, feeling of unjust, fear, and anxiety

3. Ghostman's rating of the film Wonderful Town

A very beautiful and tragic film. It sort of reminded me of Gummo in its depiction of a small town although this was infinitely more relaxed and quiet.

4. David Richards's rating of the film Wonderful Town

A man and a whole town haunted by past disasters. The downbeat ending did not seem forced to me. There is a grim logic to it and there are parallels between the lives of the young architect and the man who eventually murders him.

5. Nick Potter's rating of the film Wonderful Town

Nice, relaxing, calm tale of ordinary people living just after an extraordinary event. Beautifully told through Assarat's careful hands, Wonderful Town sends the message to get ready for more to come from the strong Thai director.

6. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Wonderful Town

By definition a wonderful town is such as long as no one enters or leaves it. Bangkokeans are also not very popular outside of Bangkok; the film subtly exposes these political tensions quite common in the southern provinces of Thailand.

7. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Wonderful Town

I almost abandoned this movie halfway through, becoming restless with the glacial pace and the too-soggy, theatrical romance in a small town. But I'm glad I stayed for the third act: unlike others here, I thought the contrast between the violence and drift of the world with beauty and humanity made the film soar. The caressing camera work and subtle framing, common with Thai directors, rewards observation.

8. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Wonderful Town

Almost a 5-star movie for me, but that ending felt cheap and tacked on. It certainly didn't match the tone of the rest of the film and went counter to what the entire film worked for. But other than that huge misstep, I loved this sweet, calm, tender movie.

9. Loz Loory's rating of the film Wonderful Town

Beautiful melancholic tone. Devastating natural disasters breed devastating human disasters. Great line when the sister says to her brother, "Why can't you let other people be happy?"

10. Zac Weber's rating of the film Wonderful Town

The power of nature really resonates with this beach town still dreary from the 2004 Tsunami, and the love story feels like sunlight breaking through the clouds. Consider the shots of the cascading waves, and the way Ton and Na are enveloped by the landscape in the scene where she says "hold me." Almost a perfect film, but the ending shifts away from the delicate sense of hope we find throughout the earlier parts.

11. Miggy Angel's rating of the film Wonderful Town

12. jchandleroc's rating of the film Wonderful Town

This film draws easy comparisons to Tsai Ming-liang with its slow and deliberate pacing, quietly devastated characters, stifled sexuality, and profound sense of alienation--there is even a watermelon! It examines how a community is inexorably tied to its environment by the tragedy of its past. And maybe there is a certain comfort in embracing the certainty of disappointment and the persistence of hope.

13. John Woodall's rating of the film Wonderful Town

A good film, but there were many things that prevented it from being great. The story and conflict felt a little dry, leading to an ending that ultimately felt a bit forced and directionless. But there's still lots to love here. The town itself was absolutely beautiful, which was really brought out by the camera work and flow of the plot. To put it simply, the visual aspect is very memorable, while the story is not.

14. Abhi's rating of the film Wonderful Town

Gentle and poignant portrayal of life in a coastal village post Tsunami. The film definitely had potential to be really good but the director stuck to his restraint approach never letting the drama get out of control, which always did not work in the favor of the story. Could have been better but considering this was debut feature I give 4 stars.

15. Chris Gillespie's rating of the film Wonderful Town

A simple and beautiful film that skillfully builds the drama until the very end -- a Dardenne-esque examination of the common folk.

16. elisa nyassom's rating of the film Wonderful Town

it truly captured reality to it's fullest; how nature in it's unpredictable charm can turn to harm even the innocent. such a moving movie. a happy ending never hurt anyone; but this is real life beautifully stated by assarat