1. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Written on the Wind

unbelievable ... funny, scary, opulent, crude -- high-pitched camp with a deep, coursing undercurrent of brutal, cynical criticism of american class disparity. dorothy malone is in peak form and rock is anguishing to watch

2. Ouistiti's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Il Cinema Ritrovato, Bologna, 2017; re-watched, first time in a movie theatre

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Mélodrame flamboyant, qui reste une date dans l'histoire du cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

4. Myles's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Sirk got the budget to do a rich people picture and he used it well. Cain and Abel, the miserable millionaire, the cunning sister-- these are timeless mythologies played out in stunning technicolor. Having learned he's sterile, Robert Stack stumbles out of the diner and sees a boy on a phallic mechanical horse, laughing. Sirk knows how to make the camera talk!

5. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Written on the Wind

6. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Written on the Wind

7. cansu m's rating of the film Written on the Wind

8. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Written on the Wind

9. João R's rating of the film Written on the Wind

This windy story presents itself with a marvelous initial sequence and a very dramatic and chromatic sense of style. In the beginning, I felt this was going to be a favorite, however as the storm passes through and the end is near I just kept seeing much of its potential being blown off. I fear that, in the end, it left me hanging on in its own promise of being superior. Nevertheless, it's a treat to watch.

10. Aardsy's rating of the film Written on the Wind

11. Maudealan's rating of the film Written on the Wind

There is like critique and irony in Sirk movies sure but he clearly was not ironic about melodrama itself as a medium, especially since it was full of the feeling and intensity that makes it so good!!

12. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Written on the Wind

8.0/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2uu

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Written on the Wind

It's a great picture, but I kinda hated it. Not just because the characters are detestable (I even hated the "good guy") but because the whole time and culture were disgusting: the fancy clothes and cars, rich white people drinking booze constantly, and an oppressive 1950's culture; how in the hell people today can feel nostalgic about is beyond me. Oh, and the theme song is nauseating too. Otherwise a great picture.

14. Alex Khype's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Before Divine ruled the world, I'm pretty sure the Marylee Hayden was the filthiest person on Earth.

15. James Mackin's rating of the film Written on the Wind

I'm not really sure why everyone was in love with Lauran Bacall. Probably because she wasn't slutty. Still, the slutty one won the Oscar.

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Not the Texas I know, but the images of blustering impotence have the ring of truth.

17. Log Lady's rating of the film Written on the Wind

I have to admit I wasn't on the right state of mind to catch all the underlying stuff Sirk was throwing at me. I'll watch this again sometime, because after reading reviews I feel I misunderstood the tone. The first Sirk movie for me, but I'll return someday.

18. Noah Friedman's rating of the film Written on the Wind

19. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Wow, magnificent, everything about this seemed so perfectly composed, making the dramatic story unbelievably powerful. My first Sirk and I can't wait for more.

20. Dignan's rating of the film Written on the Wind

21. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Oh, Dorothy Malone, you. So glad the machine recognized her for this. I'm not going to pretend I'm cool: until that last unmistakably winky scene of Malone stroking an oil derrick, I never would've understood Sirk's irony had I not been prepared. Well, I was prepared, and I thoroughly giggled at the coyness. I wish they still filmed in Technicolor.

22. Ronja's rating of the film Written on the Wind

i've seen two sirk's films and have a feeling he was quite a master, something like hitchcock. i feel the anxious undertones and tensions in the ruling pathos, i understand you can analyse it from different angles and get a lot out of it, but i believe that melodrama is dangerous, it's decieving and seductive and evokes beasts in people. to be honest, the whole thing looked repulsive to me. except Lauren Bacall.

23. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Has the most mysterious ending I've yet seen in Sirk, Malone mimicking her father's portrait, a pose with the model oil tower; the closing of a gate--we the viewers are no longer permitted to take witness to this world of psychological horror. What a hellish atmosphere it is, bedrooms especially, those id-riddled arenas.

24. msmichel's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Great Douglas Sirk melodrama in which the use of colour seems to be more of a character than the actor's performances often are. The interesting characters here are the antogonists driving the story. Robert Stack as the emasculated husband and oscar winner Dorothy Malone as the nymphamaniac scheming sister. Sirk had such a wonderful understanding of melodrama and his films always interesting to peruse.