1. Renton47's rating of the film Written on the Wind

The plot is slightly more expected (I quite disliked opening at the climax), but each scene is freighted with such psychology and personality that it is hard not to appreciate its enormous thematic and subconscious complexity.

2. Kuja's rating of the film Written on the Wind

3,5. Chick flick petropolitics

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film Written on the Wind

This is like if Giant was edited down to a decent run time and the emotions were turned up to 10. Amazing Sirk soaper with a fabulous ensemble cast. All That Heaven Allows remains my fav Sirk, but damn if this isnt easily top 3. 5 stars. Def worth a look

4. Mahsa mohammadi's rating of the film Written on the Wind

5. George Bradley's rating of the film Written on the Wind

6. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Written on the Wind

The rich oil family with problems of alcohol, free sex and a death down the long, winding stairs makes this essential soap opera drama and someone must clearly have seen this when they made "Dallas". Not sure one can say any characters are that bright though but the drama is surely fastpaced and with an actual (almost) ending for all characters which is more than most long-running soaps ever get.

7. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Written on the Wind

100 minutes of Dorothy Malone's weird facial expressions can't stop this from being superbly crafted, with a plot that keeps giving and cinematography way ahead of the curve.

8. alvin leong's rating of the film Written on the Wind

The ugliest,most excessive Sirk is also the most important historically. It's a catalogue of fraught melodrama and views like a scene-by-scene playbook of every future soap series , Dallas and beyond. In the 40s Adorno and Horkheimer had spoken of The Movies' "slotting in of cliche after cliche" The 50s Sirk film sets a template for decades to come - but with extraordinary force ,and astonishing acting from all.

9. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film Written on the Wind

10. riraru's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Ich kann mich an keinen Film erinnern, in dem – wie hier – die Schauspieler allesamt derart perfekt Blicke ausführen. Als stünde es im Drehbuch: "Mitch schaut versonnen aufs Haus, die Haushälterin bewundernd auf Mitch, Lucy verliebt auf ihren Zobelpelzkragen".

11. matthew_roberts's rating of the film Written on the Wind

I'll likely praise Rock Hudson until my dying days but I was surprised revisiting Written on the Wind that Robert Stack manages to provide an even greater performance with a delightfully complex and frustrated character. full review here: https://letterboxd.com/matthew_roberts/film/written-on-the-wind/1/

12. Superfrog's rating of the film Written on the Wind

The subject and the plot was really hard for me to enjoy. The story is not one that I am naturally attracted to either. I am sure it would be a fine piece if you were into this kind of stories.

13. theminiwitch's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Not one of my favourite from Sirk. Great performances, though. Again, Rock Hudson!

14. P D Dawson's rating of the film Written on the Wind

There is a darkness that permeates through the entire film, from the opening scene to the characters and even through to the colour palette used. With that kind of edge, perhaps a rarity in 1950s Hollywood, I was expecting to get more out of it, but didn't. There were a few good scenes here & there, some great performances from Bacall & Hudson, but overall the film tries to be edgy & sharp, but feels a little bland.

15. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Another fine work from Douglas Sirk, this time helped by the performances of Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack, and Dorothy Malone. I didn't like it quite as much as some of his best work, but it's still a wonderful, heady brew.

16. 'king Harold's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Wow Robert Stack really had that dead eye thing down didn’t he ? But bananas in a woman’s bedroom?? What was he trying to imply? Colour coding is mad on this one, Almodovar clearly loved them. Men fall in love very quickly in these films, a woman just has to walk into a room pretty much and they’re all falling over like nine pins. Sirk criticises the emptiness of the rich but clearly loves the life.

17. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Great colours, high emotions, dramatic tale. Lauren Bacall is fab. So is Rock Hudson.

18. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Written on the Wind

"Douglas Sirk’s resplendent melodrama, too often taken as camp, is as serious as cinema gets." -Mubi's take on the film. Honestly I also found this campy as hell. Pretty alright film, even if I found most of the characters to be pretty intolerable. From a technical standpoint it's perfectly competent though.

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Written on the Wind

20. Ark V's rating of the film Written on the Wind

So glad we are making less films about rich losers. If you want an example of how well they could be shot then this is it.

21. Dead Sam's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Found this film a bit hard to enjoy without the virtuous or redeemed Sirk characters. I don't fully understand Lucy Moore's motivation or attraction to a man with an inhuman ability to avoid blinking. This damaged family and their appalling taste were still engrossing. Bacall made Moore interesting.

22. Nicolas Pierce's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Loved it. With its use of windswept, deserted roads, seedy bars and borderline hysterical performances, you can see the germs of David Lynch's cinema at moments in this masterpiece of the American grotesque.

23. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Written on the Wind

Melodrama at its best. Under the superficial beauty of Sirk lurks sarcasm and joy. Probably the seed of 80’s Dallas and Falcon Crest.

24. catweinz's rating of the film Written on the Wind

mon mélo culte ! j'ai dû le voir au moins cinq fois

← Previous 1 3 4