1. dionysus67's rating of the film Xala

Great and politically astute critique of the wedlock of development and tradition in a society that eventually reproduces the vices of both. The film is replete with references to language and distorted communication anchored in deep cultural power hierarchies and prejudices. Technological fetishism is symmetrically demolished alongside magic in what is a surgical operation of Senegal's impotence. Essential viewing!

2. clara m's rating of the film Xala

3.5 not my thing but damn.......

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Xala

4. mpho3's rating of the film Xala

"The meaningful road to African cinema lies in a cinema that draws from the wealth of its cultural and aesthetic traditions. XALA marks and signals a turning point in the development of African cinema in that folk-narrative tradition and cinema acquire a measure of peaceful coexistence." - Teshome H. Gabriel, Jump Cut. While I preferred the book to the film, I have to agree there's a nice balance here.

5. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Xala

One of the great comments on the post-colonial "white masks" societies that developed in the developing worlds. Sembene pulls no punches, per usual. 4.5

6. El Biffo's rating of the film Xala

Senegalese Cinema! Some of the acting is a bit stiff, others are excellent, and the production value is minimal, but this is still a fine film. Heck, you try making anything at all in Senegal, it is a miracle they produce films, and very good ones, at that. XALA weaves every level of Senegalese society into its story, from the President, down to beggars and "undesirables". A must for fans of West African cinema.

7. Coheed 2.5's rating of the film Xala

I am so grateful this was shown on Film4 - now I owe Mark Cousins for it. Why isn't this on DVD? We got Moolaadé (2004), why not this?!

8. Colin Ludvic Racicot's rating of the film Xala

Not sure what to think about this film. I was emerged into a various range of impressions and feelings during the screening - seems like a unique tale of post-colonial africa... where man is struggling with traditional values... the main character's little empire falls appart because of his selfishness. Shocking...

9. scorpiorising's rating of the film Xala

Yes, thank you finally for using the original and more widely used title.