1. Clay_Carter's rating of the film XXY

Film is a fine medium to inspire empathy for those on the fringe, and, sometimes, entering that type of thought-space can be uncomfortable and doleful. The story communicates this realm of sexually ambivalence well enough but its method is often heavy handed. I'm surprised more screen time was dedicated to the physical state rather than the finer emotional one. To the end, the camera is bent on seeing over feeling.

2. Dr. Medicine's rating of the film XXY

What this movie does well, it does very well; namely capturing the emotional struggles a family trying to navigate through an ambiguous juncture. But the technical aspects within the storytelling don't quite reach the same levels. The subplots are incomplete and muddled which unfortunately overshadows some really impressive acting and a very sincere handling of a subject we don't see enough of in film.

3. El Biffo's rating of the film XXY

Very good film with a great cast, however.....(SPOILER WARNING)...I have seen enough of films that paint LGBTQ people as "tragic". I want to see more films that celebrate people's individuality! This film started to do that, but ultimately veered towards a stereotypical ending.

4. Armando's rating of the film XXY

The story of an intersex adolescent and a young man who falls for her/him in a small Argentinian town by the ocean. A very balanced and insightful film about the mysteries of our sexual identity.

5. Wee Hunk's rating of the film XXY

I agree with kampton's assessment that it was heavy handed. It's a problem when movies begin to deal with a sensitive subject. I think there will be better ones in the future.

6. kampton's rating of the film XXY

A bit heavy handed at times (e.g the carrot chopping scene, the callous plastic surgeon vs the sensitive marine biologist) but in the end a satisfying movie about how emotionally healthy people deal with confusion and crisis. Alex was an especially powerful character, especially well acted. It is interesting that, because she/he was allowed to be fully sexual, we are allowed not to objectify her/him.

7. ara's rating of the film XXY

saw it a while back & i found it quite striking + i'm very glad to see intersex people being represented, especially latino ones! def worth a watch

8. Henk Lamers's rating of the film XXY

Final score: 7. Storyline: 8, Originality: 8, Cinematography: 7, Involvement: 7, Music: 7, Editing: 7, Educational: 8, Title design: 7, Acting: 7, Interesting: 7, Unusual: 8, Exciting: 7, Superior: 7

9. migbo22's rating of the film XXY

10. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film XXY

11. Knut Hetzer's rating of the film XXY

ein ungewöhnlicher coming of age film - ruhig mit stimmiger musik sanft und sensibel - mit absolut überzeugenden eindringlichen darstellern.

12. Sophie Flinders's rating of the film XXY

One of the first films I have seens which discusses intersex people. I like how the film goes against the typical view and procedure of intersex people to have surgery in order to fit into a particular social category. XXY has made me realise that the current way in which we look at gender and sex in inadequate.

13. Steve Thompson's rating of the film XXY

Ines Efron is particularly outstanding as a 15-year old living through decisions and experiences at the limits of sexual and societal conventions. This is a moving, subtle and ultimately profoundly humane film about not only the issues surrounding the intersex condition, but also more universal complexities of adolescent love and desire and the pull of familial bonds and social responsibility.

14. Squashua's rating of the film XXY

A really haunting and complex character study across the board, not just of the central intersex protagonist. Really tackles the complexities of living between the sexes without ever falling into the trap of being judgemental or sentimental. Gorgeous coastal scenery too.

15. Ioanna-Violet's rating of the film XXY

Beautiful film! Interesting subject, approached with sincerity and sensitivity, a touching performance by Ines Efron, and beautiful landscapes, as part of a wonderful cinematography.

16. SiIencio's rating of the film XXY

Somehow disappointing in that the punch of the story only lies in its subject matter- gender conflict -, enough material to craft an eye-catching synopsis. However Lucia Puenzo does not add character, insight or soul to the film but plenty of meaningless silences, loose ends and futile posturism. Boys don't cry it ain't. In fact it ain't much at all.

17. Criss Fletcher's rating of the film XXY

'Making her afraid of her own body is the worst thing you can do to your child.' This film may be about inter-sexuality, but it becomes about so much more. What does it mean to be a man or a woman? An adult or a child? Beautiful or ugly? A mixture of warmth and coldness made this beautifully shot drama an engrossing, but difficult watch. Sensitive, sometimes powerfully harsh, but thanks to Inés Efron, very watchable.

18. DrFirestone's rating of the film XXY

Interesting topic and location. Beautifully shot. I have to say I was positively surprised by this movie.

19. dialupmodem's rating of the film XXY

i recommend the book 'Between XX and XY: Intersexuality and the Myth of Two Sexes' it will open your eyes and make you realise the hidden demon that is what this film refers to as normalisation. + a beautifully shot film

20. anwoody's rating of the film XXY

I like the almost fragmentary way that the story develops, without over-killing any scene or dialogue, leaving enough gaps for the audience to reflect and react on some quite tough themes and decision-making.

21. adrianmendizabal's rating of the film XXY

I have a problem w/ its narrative centering on 'disclosure' or 'outing' of intersexuality. I also don't see the autonomy in Alex's character happening. She's always viewed thru a familial lens - the eye of the father, the mother. I don't think that's the best way to deal w/ a very complex subjectivity.

22. Samuel T.'s rating of the film XXY

23. marco's rating of the film XXY

Beautiful. Devastating. An important film about hermafroditism and angels fallen on earth.

24. Olufunlayo's rating of the film XXY

I loved XXY. Poignant and relevant.