1. o_oo's rating of the film Yearning

I didn’t know it would be like that.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Yearning

Carly Rae’s “Store” most definitely does NOT play in this Naruse melodrama, despite the fact that most of it takes place in a grocery store.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Yearning

Un mélodrame onctueux et tamisé, en sourdine et catimini, d'une extrême finesse émotionnelle, avec une actrice exceptionnelle de présence et de sensibilité, un scénario d'une rigueur implacable régenté par un cinéaste d'une prodigieuse intelligence d'esprit et de cœur qui de film en film transfigure l'élément féminin, souvent en perdition... www.cinefiches.com

4. Latias's rating of the film Yearning

Favourite of Naruse. Epic dialogue between people in love at the time perfectly blended into the societal background. Everything is so natural and Takamine's performance is just as good as always.

5. pirri's rating of the film Yearning

6. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Yearning

I found a little bit overrated , there is nothing in the name of curiosity at this cinema work.

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Yearning

8. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Yearning

9. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film Yearning

9 - Boundless worlds of emotion and insight (both personal and cultural), contained in this tight and tiny a frame, though one no less formally spectacular for staying within its boundaries. Cogent in its sincerity, the whole thing is as much a melodrama as it is a subversion of cheap sentiment; it's a magic trick.

10. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film Yearning

Mikio needs to stop. This pain is just 2 real...

11. Miggy Angel's rating of the film Yearning

12. letters never sent's rating of the film Yearning

I suppose for some films...you simply cannot find the words to describe how they moved you. It's better left in the heart and mind...

13. Peđa's rating of the film Yearning

"I love you with all my heart" *hugs her*

14. Rohith Varma's rating of the film Yearning

15. Kortirion's rating of the film Yearning

Words cannot express my love for Yearning. I will attempt to do it justice in the limited characters provided at a later date.

16. CANNED LUCIDITY's rating of the film Yearning

The final shot of Yearning may be cinema's greatest gut-punch.

17. kit duckworth's rating of the film Yearning

naruse does better when the story is less pat

18. polkasan's rating of the film Yearning

A heart-shattering masterpiece

19. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Yearning

20. kartina obskura's rating of the film Yearning

their love was as silent as a leaf falling of a tree. their tragedy was as groundbreaking as an earthquake. my heart is weeping.

21. eXceedingdeaTh's rating of the film Yearning

22. waywardwaters's rating of the film Yearning

A romance that eludes easy answers, "Midareru" is as much about New Japan's postwar acceptance and reaction to change (despite maintenance of traditional virtues) as it is about the micro-study. Cynically truthful as always, Naruse explores with a nonpareil quiet confidence and poetic nuance, the effect of genuine love on man and woman's respective spiritual characters within parameters of society and time.

23. Verimage's rating of the film Yearning

I didn't realize I could become a melodrama fan before this.

24. lazycalm's rating of the film Yearning

The man is violently in love with the woman, but then...what's the use?