1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Yella

2. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Yella

3. Olivia Reneé Saldívar's rating of the film Yella

4. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Yella

"Carnival of Souls" in Hannover. The protagonist's surname is Fichte, which could serve as fodder for a million 'film studies' term papers given this film's premise.

5. suede's rating of the film Yella

9/10. Deeply impressive stuff. Informed my dreams and only grew on me further the next day. This isn't even a genre film. Or perhaps: this is a realistic genre film resisting simple classification. It's so subtle and restrained in its supernatural elements. Carried by a brilliant performance from Striesow, alongside Hoss. There is so much attention to details here.

6. tumultodevozes's rating of the film Yella

7. mizo gucci's rating of the film Yella

The ravens are passengers and yet so enduring

8. d'martha's rating of the film Yella

the whole story is very convincing, seems so strong, simple and almost unaffected by any forerunners, although the style of directing (and acting) temporally (and dramatically) just made me willing to throw my evening coffee straight to the screen.

9. klofter's rating of the film Yella

The film tries to do a lot, too much perhaps. And the ending throws a monkey wrench into everything established before. I'm not sure Petzold completely pulls it off but it's definitely a compelling film.

10. Angie Phillips's rating of the film Yella

Superbly written reformulation of CARNIVAL OF SOULS is full of scary silences that contribute to a thrilling revelation in the end. One of rare times that I immediately rewatched the film just too enjoy watching the mystery unravel over again. Impeccable nuanced acting by Nina Hoss, who communicated so much through her body language and eyes.

11. mpho3's rating of the film Yella

*Spoiler* The "all just a dream" trope and its variants often don't work because they tend to feel like a cheat. But on occasion a director can nail the cinematic depiction of the late comedian Bill Hicks' infamous quote: "There is no such thing as death. Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." I thought about this film for days afterward and concluded, "Yes!"

12. Ioannis Papaloizou's rating of the film Yella

Most of all I enjoyed watching the recurrence of Yella's bright red blouse. To me it felt like a bright signal amongst muted colors, understated situations, and the threat of violence. This movie reminded me how much I like thrillers.

13. sedmacedo's rating of the film Yella

just another german language film with a little surprise at the end - nothing really impressive about it

14. Elena Lazic's rating of the film Yella

More of a 3.5 but Nina Hoss is incredible and the direction as well, only the ending disappointed me a bit. I watched the interview of the director and what he tried to do is great but doesn't completely get through in the film, it's a shame.

15. fayettehickox's rating of the film Yella

16. Josh Jensen's rating of the film Yella

Whatever thats a copy of The Inheritence from Denmark. Silly Germans.

17. ankit mathur's rating of the film Yella

18. Brian Marino's rating of the film Yella

I remember seeing this at a film club a super long time ago. Still have no idea how the guy who ran it got the print as I never saw it released anywhere else. Awesome to see that this is up here, along with another film by the director. Ever since seeing it I have been excited to see more from him! Hope even more films of his wind up on here someday.

19. Simon So's rating of the film Yella

20. Kelvane's rating of the film Yella

I liked the tone and atmosphere of it, and the performance by the lead girl, but didn't quite understand it?

21. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Yella

The unexpected ending perhaps explains why this film was so cold and lean.But,a second viewing is needed to appreciate the atmosphere created by the director.Which should give many clues.

22. Pál's rating of the film Yella

Compared to Barbara, this movie operates with cruder slashes, but that's no problem, makes the unpredictable, threatening atmosphere stronger. I liked the instrumentalized depiction of the characters: since Yella is in danger, she instincively helps any man she thinks can protect her, and they use her in turn. It's OK to end the movie like this, though they could have just dispensed with all the unreal elements.

23. Howard Orr's rating of the film Yella

An odd but thought-provoking mix of metaphysical exploration and a story that deals with complicated ideas of fealty and financial chicanery. It is most successful when its latent dark, absurd humour is made present.

24. terrastrana's rating of the film Yella

A surrealist film reminiscent of David Lynch's works.