1. Dries's rating of the film Yella

Parte bene nel creare un atmosfera ansiogena grazie al sapiente uso dei suoni e dei silenzi ( oltre che alla bellissima nina hoss) ma poi più va avanti e più peggiora a livello di sceneggiatura, il finale ( inaspettato si, ma nel senso che è talmente stupido che uno non poteva aspettarselo) è imbarazzante non solo xke sa di già visto ma perchè rende inutile tutta la complessità del plot precedentemente costruito

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Yella

Christian Petzold is quietly one of the most interesting filmmakers working today. This film is drenched in atmosphere and Petzold wonderfully creates a sense of paranoia and delusion. It makes the twist ending earned and given all that came before it, I question how literally we're supposed to take it.

3. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Yella

4. jjk's rating of the film Yella

i’m warming up to petzold

5. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Yella

Nina Hoss, my blackmailing goddess.

6. Aldo vs's rating of the film Yella

7. Erik F.'s rating of the film Yella

8. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Yella

Putting on a Petzold film is like putting a cake in the oven and watch it bake, but when it finally comes out it is anything but half-baked. Don't read the ingredients before consuming this one.

9. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Yella

I read a spoiler, so I went into the film in a different way. Things that happened made sense in the overall picture. She's wearing the same shirt again! This movie had significantly less foreshadowing and obfuscation that you normally get in this situation. In that sense it was definitely more enjoyable.

10. Chartrand Mendeleev's rating of the film Yella

11. mahdis's rating of the film Yella

12. misu's rating of the film Yella

13. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Yella

14. Redletterprints's rating of the film Yella

15. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Yella

"Carnival of Souls" in Hannover. The protagonist's surname is Fichte, which could serve as fodder for a million 'film studies' term papers given this film's premise.

16. suede's rating of the film Yella

9/10. Deeply impressive stuff. Informed my dreams and only grew on me further the next day. This isn't even a genre film. Or perhaps: this is a realistic genre film resisting simple classification. It's so subtle and restrained in its supernatural elements. Carried by a brilliant performance from Striesow, alongside Hoss. There is so much attention to details here.

17. tumultodevozes's rating of the film Yella

18. mizo gucci's rating of the film Yella

The ravens are passengers and yet so enduring

19. d'martha's rating of the film Yella

the whole story is very convincing, seems so strong, simple and almost unaffected by any forerunners, although the style of directing (and acting) temporally (and dramatically) just made me willing to throw my evening coffee straight to the screen.

20. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Yella

Best Hitchcock movie Ever! Just re-watched it for the third time after seeing Carnival of Souls for the first time.

21. klofter's rating of the film Yella

The film tries to do a lot, too much perhaps. And the ending throws a monkey wrench into everything established before. I'm not sure Petzold completely pulls it off but it's definitely a compelling film.

22. Angie Phillips's rating of the film Yella

Superbly written reformulation of CARNIVAL OF SOULS is full of scary silences that contribute to a thrilling revelation in the end. One of rare times that I immediately rewatched the film just too enjoy watching the mystery unravel over again. Impeccable nuanced acting by Nina Hoss, who communicated so much through her body language and eyes.

23. mpho3's rating of the film Yella

*Spoiler* The "all just a dream" trope and its variants often don't work because they tend to feel like a cheat. But on occasion a director can nail the cinematic depiction of the late comedian Bill Hicks' infamous quote: "There is no such thing as death. Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." I thought about this film for days afterward and concluded, "Yes!"

24. Ioannis Papaloizou's rating of the film Yella

Most of all I enjoyed watching the recurrence of Yella's bright red blouse. To me it felt like a bright signal amongst muted colors, understated situations, and the threat of violence. This movie reminded me how much I like thrillers.