1. Tommaso's rating of the film Yellow Earth

stunning piece of art. Magnetic and sweetly paced, perfectly composed.

2. Jannik Jannik's rating of the film Yellow Earth

I can't stand musicals and people singing in movies. what a shame.

3. irislang's rating of the film Yellow Earth

i hate ambiguous endings give me closure and comfort

4. smndvdcl's rating of the film Yellow Earth

Taoist philosophical elements subvert the Maoist and Confucian prevailing paradigms of Chinese culture - the complexity of good and bad in everyone, the subversion of gender normativity and the compositional framing of each scene akin to a Chinese painting where the horizon sits low and the sky overwhelms.

5. Kiosa's rating of the film Yellow Earth

The most remarkable part of this film is the extent to which the good peasant woman (girl, really) hauls water long distances -- whatever the songs were saying, Kaige was surely saying, in that Kaige way of his, "only a commitment to solving real problems can save China". You can't take the peasant to some "Communist stronghold", Communism must solve the problems of the people, for the people, wherever they are.

6. DonBurton's rating of the film Yellow Earth

Another one I'd love to view here. The early work from 5th generation Chinese filmmakers is so important.

7. knockkneed's rating of the film Yellow Earth

8. Damian's rating of the film Yellow Earth

Beautiful and engaging. Touching without being melodramatic.

9. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Yellow Earth

In comparison to many films that are lazily shoved into the "transcendent cinema" category, it was surprisingly fast paced and accessible. Despite occasionally having personal emotions expressed in folk songs, it holds quite an objective perception of the characters. Including the unmodernised north and "pre-Mao progressive" south, that you eventually realise is a stinker of a false dichotomy.

10. David Liu's rating of the film Yellow Earth

From dust you came, and unto dust you shall return.

11. Dave's rating of the film Yellow Earth

My first experience with Chen Kaige, definitely has me interested in further exploring his work. I viewed a copy of horrible quality, which makes me think I might have been missing out a bit, but I could still appreciate the film.