1. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Yojimbo

8.3/10, my review - https://wp.me/p1eXom-3Ay “Kurosawa’s enshrined masterpiece creates an archetypal world suffused with oriental chivalry and sacrosanct “kill or spare” philosophy.”

2. Roy Deckard's rating of the film Yojimbo

3 stars cuz I can see the directorial traces which the great filmmakers of the 60s and 70s followed. I saw a few magnificent shots and frames but the movie is not that entertaining as other works of his, say Ran or Rashomon.

3. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film Yojimbo

Mifune is great and a lot of the performers are good. The film starts out strong, but it seems to peak too early in the showdown interrupted by the arrival of the officer. It falls apart and drags a bit after this, despite being held together by solid sequences. The ending is quite good though.

4. jhubbs's rating of the film Yojimbo

Perhaps the most blatantly exciting Kurosawa. Mifune makes Sanjuro real with every little twitch, glance, and scratch; it all feels so natural. Music is crazy cool and not what you would expect. The intro is beautiful, as are many shots throughout. Village looks very real. Mifune's thoughts are shown via action, not crudely spoon-fed. The stock characters somehow miraculously elevate the film, the comedy works

5. fahmi khoirussani's rating of the film Yojimbo

tanpa kurosawa barangkali tidak akan ada sergio leone seperti yang kita kenal sekarang, tarantino, dan entah siapa lagi

6. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Yojimbo

Kurosawa was something else. He put out masterpiece after masterpiece. This one included.

7. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Yojimbo

From the moment this movie starts it is easy to see how it influenced the entire Italian Spaghetti Western genre and several modern action movies as this is a Samurai movie mixed with the gangster genre.

8. Vince Wynne's rating of the film Yojimbo

Films like these give my life meaning. One of the most entertaining movies ever made.

9. gld48's rating of the film Yojimbo

Mifune is a low-key comic savage.

10. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Yojimbo

Nulla più dell'eleganza donata da Kurosawa alle inquadrature di questo capolavoro può spiegare l'immenso genio del Maestro giapponese. La regia riesce a mettere la cornice a delle inquadrature strabilianti per bellezza ed efficacia, sia nel giocare con le ricche profondità di campo, sia nel sostenere la narrazione del soggetto. E che soggetto. Uno dei più bei film che abbia mai avuto l'immenso piacere di vedere.

11. Elena's rating of the film Yojimbo

Toshiro Mifune amazing as always

12. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film Yojimbo

13. Nachtreich's rating of the film Yojimbo

14. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Yojimbo

Toshirō Mifune plays a cocky wandering Samurai in the midst of a gang war in a small village. It inspired the spaghetti western remake “A Fistful of Dollars” which is also pretty great, but Yôjinbô is a fine example of Kurosawa nailing the Samurai genre and crafted a worthy sequel with “Sanjuro”.

15. B o g d a n's rating of the film Yojimbo

16. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Yojimbo

17. Tibulle85's rating of the film Yojimbo

Un Kurosawa avec quelques longueurs (mais bon, ça vaut quand même 4 étoiles, c'est du Kurosawa!). Le vrai coup de maître sera la suite de ce film: le magistral Sanjurô!

18. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Yojimbo

19. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Yojimbo

Absolutely hilarious and dramatic; and impeccably directed. Every shot is practically a portrait. Toshiro Mifune plays the ultimate badass samurai-for-hire. One of Kurosawa's best.

20. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Yojimbo

Interestingly actionless movie where Mifune-as-Akira sits around trying to conceive of interesting ways for people to come to blows. This isn't fun in the way I was expecting, but the meta/political reads are more interesting.

21. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Yojimbo

Better than a Fistful of Dollars. Probably best contender against Seven Samurai for my personal fave Kurosawa film.

22. MistaRichard's rating of the film Yojimbo

I actually thought this was going to be my first Kurosawa to be rated below five stars... how silly of me... Never have I connected so much with a character I knew absolutely nothing about and with a story completely outside of what I was expecting. Toshirō Mifune is incomparable and this might just be his coolest role.

23. dordairobert's rating of the film Yojimbo

24. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film Yojimbo

Fantastic film, exceeded every expectation. I can see why it has such a huge legacy. Kurosawa manages to make us laugh, gasp and cheer all in the same film. A film which demonstrates the intelligence of its protagonist through actions rather than through contrivance and dialogue. A must-see classic for everyone.

← Previous 1 3 4 5