1. Nachtreich's rating of the film Yojimbo

2. B o g d a n's rating of the film Yojimbo

3. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Yojimbo

4. Tibulle85's rating of the film Yojimbo

Un Kurosawa avec quelques longueurs (mais bon, ça vaut quand même 4 étoiles, c'est du Kurosawa!). Le vrai coup de maître sera la suite de ce film: le magistral Sanjurô!

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Yojimbo

6. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Yojimbo

Absolutely hilarious and dramatic; and impeccably directed. Every shot is practically a portrait. Toshiro Mifune plays the ultimate badass samurai-for-hire. One of Kurosawa's best.

7. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Yojimbo

Interestingly actionless movie where Mifune-as-Akira sits around trying to conceive of interesting ways for people to come to blows. This isn't fun in the way I was expecting, but the meta/political reads are more interesting.

8. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Yojimbo

Better than a Fistful of Dollars. Probably best contender against Seven Samurai for my personal fave Kurosawa film.

9. MistaRichard's rating of the film Yojimbo

I actually thought this was going to be my first Kurosawa to be rated below five stars... how silly of me... Never have I connected so much with a character I knew absolutely nothing about and with a story completely outside of what I was expecting. Toshirō Mifune is incomparable and this might just be his coolest role.

10. dordairobert's rating of the film Yojimbo

11. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film Yojimbo

Fantastic film, exceeded every expectation. I can see why it has such a huge legacy. Kurosawa manages to make us laugh, gasp and cheer all in the same film. A film which demonstrates the intelligence of its protagonist through actions rather than through contrivance and dialogue. A must-see classic for everyone.

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Yojimbo

Superbe chef-d'oeuvre du réalisateur qui décrypte avec sagacité et talent les méandres et les fourvoiements de la nature humaine sans cesse déchirée et déchirante. www.cinefiches.com

13. Alex Holland's rating of the film Yojimbo

Kurosawa's lighter western influenced film, may lack the epic 3 hour scope of Seven Samurai or even the adventurous spirit of The Hidden Fortress, but it is regardless, an entertaining film. Boasting a great performance from kurosawa veteran Toshiro Mifune, as well as classic kurosawa black humor, and exquisite wide-screen compositions. My only gripe is that the film can be a bit talky in sections, but that's minor.

14. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film Yojimbo

15. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Yojimbo

3-4. Is it odd to say this is one of the sweeter Kurosawa movies I've come across? His usual philosophy is on full display, epitomized by Sanjuro, the nameless wanderer. But there's an emotional core, the relationship between Sanjuro and Gonji, that blooms throughout, and we're eventually rewarded with a display of honest caring on Sanjuro's part as our climax. I think it's distinct for Kurosawa in that respect.

16. DenoResandono's rating of the film Yojimbo

One of the Akira Kurosawa's timeless masterpiece. He took an inspiration from western genre for this movie. Toshiro Mifune is a perfect actor to potray Kuwabatake Sanjuro - a wandering ronin and master swordsman. He's a perfect example of a perfect bad-ass. Don't forget its beautiful cinematography...

17. Josh Lowe's rating of the film Yojimbo

Visual clarity has never looked so good! Fits neatly into my books as a masterclass in contrast and composition.

18. flalorm's rating of the film Yojimbo

mifune y nakadai, mis favs

19. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Yojimbo

Toshirô Mifune is the definition of badass in this highly entertaining Akira Kurosawa film!

20. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Yojimbo

Where do I even begin with Yojimbo? This film reminds me of why I love cinema. Akira Kurosawa is a master craftsman. His direction in this film is nothing short of brilliant. It is just an absolute joy to watch Toshiro Mifune on the big screen. Yojimbo is one of the greatest films ever made. If you haven't seen this before, I implore you, go see it right now! Stop what you are doing and go see Yojimbo!

21. atartinia's rating of the film Yojimbo

Lesson: never bring a gun to a katana fight

22. jonijtr's rating of the film Yojimbo

My first Kurosawa, while I don't find this film is a masterpiece as anyone says, this film is still an entertaining Samurai flick. And I'm just realized that Mifune is a fuckin' badass

23. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Yojimbo

My favorite Kurosawa so far. Gritty samurai noir. Stylistically preened to perfection with a plot which definitely succeeds in keeping you on your toes.

24. msmichel's rating of the film Yojimbo

Essential cinema. Kurosawa took American western archetypes and situations and molded them into the samurai genre with divine result that wound up influencing Italian westerns. Wild. Yojimbo is much more than its influences however casting light on the cruelty of man, the pettiness and the thirst for justice and revenge. Mifune is magnificent here but its the pacing of the film and script that make it a classic.

← Previous 1 3 4 5