1. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Yôkihi

Those delicious tracking shots!

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Yôkihi

D'une rigueur des plus classiques, une sobre mais sublime tragédie, comme seul sait les peaufiner l'incontournable Mizoguchi, dont le dénouement reste inoubliable... www.cinefiches.com

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film Yôkihi

Bei movimenti di macchina però..

4. matelot's rating of the film Yôkihi

5. Wasunan T's rating of the film Yôkihi

history facts aside,good film.

6. Ioanna-Violet's rating of the film Yôkihi

A potentially interesting film - i particularly liked the settings and the costumes, but other than that, it surely isn't a masterpiece [not even a great film]. I would surely want to see more from Mizoguchi though. The plot was interesting, but i felt there was more to do about it, and that certain scenes and events that could have been explored deeper seemed a bit rushed.

7. Stephen Bingham's rating of the film Yôkihi

A story based - no doubt loosely - on 8th century Tang dynasty history (not 18th century as currently stated in the synopsis).

8. janh24's rating of the film Yôkihi

9. Squashua's rating of the film Yôkihi

A empirical court drama that's been done similarly but much better by others. It all felt a little rushed (what did the Chans actually do? Did I miss that part?) without anything really standing out asides from the soldiers' revolt climax. I'd much rather stick to Kurosawa for Japanese epics thanks.

10. DrFirestone's rating of the film Yôkihi

It's a great film, even more amazing in colour. I appreciate the skills and work put into this film. However it's a bit weird at times, as it's a Japanese film set in ancient China... The actors have Japanese mannerism, not to mention they speak Japanese ;) and I found myself a bit confused at times and it felt strange. If you can forget about this minor complain it is definitely worth watching.

11. bcdcdude's rating of the film Yôkihi

My first Mizoguchi film. I thought it was beautiful and thoroughly enjoyed it. The end felt a bit rushed, but otherwise it's made me want to see more of his films :)

12. Peter's rating of the film Yôkihi

A keep in your place and be happy movie especially if you are female. `Do not aspire to status above and do not question authority, if you do do you will find it is easier to revert to where you came from. aspires to be an epic romance but is facile.

13. raggiodisole's rating of the film Yôkihi

Politics, relationships, all destiny-laden, and Kuei-Fei knew from the outset. but this was a beautifully-told story, the cinematography and score in particular gently guiding our path.

14. Sai Qi's rating of the film Yôkihi

This certainly is the most ridiculous film. Mizoguchi had absolutely no idea of the history during the Hsuan-tsung regime.(so did the synopsis!)The narrative,portrayal of the characters and the way those Japanese acting in Japanese are absurd for they simplify everything and the history is simply not like that at all.So please!Stop saying this has to do anything with Chinese history. It misleads the global audience

15. Anita G's rating of the film Yôkihi

Great Film ... beautifully shot. I liked the theatrical style sets and sumptuous colours which are lit very stylishly. I think the earlier film makers were more adventurous with colour than now.

16. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Yôkihi

17. José Neves's rating of the film Yôkihi

cinematography by Kôhei Sugiyama.

18. joey Noodles's rating of the film Yôkihi

A much lesser Mizoguchi. It ain't at all a bad film, but it isn't that moving or powerful and it just doesn't feel like Mizoguchi was really trying and didn't care much. To tell the truth, the visuals are *that* special either, but it's well acted and has some wonderful sequences and shots. 3/5

19. Howard Orr's rating of the film Yôkihi

A travesty of history as much as any Hollywood film, but Mizoguchi's magnificent visual sense is still very much in effect; most of all in that gorgeous tracking shot following Yang Kwei-Fei's discarded clothes and jewellery at the end of the film. And you think: "This is the bastard on a bad day..."

20. Lauren's rating of the film Yôkihi

"In a certain reign someone of no very great rank, among all of his Majesty's Consorts and Intimates, enjoyed exceptional favor. Those others who had always assumed that pride of place was properly theirs despised her as a dreadful woman...From this sad spectacle the senior nobles and privy gentlemen could only avert their eyes. Such things had led to disorder and ruin even in China..."- Tale of Genji

21. chanandre's rating of the film Yôkihi