1. ejonline's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

There are directors whose work we enjoy when first introduced to them, but then after viewing a number of films they lose their appeal. These other films may be even be better in some ways than the first ones we saw, but the spark is gone. This film is when I started to get diminishing returns from Suzuki, mostly as an arbitrary function of how many others I had already seen. Had I seen it first, maybe I'd love it.

2. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

3. Aardsy's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Offices in unusual places.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Moins maîtrisée que, par exemple, "Le vagabond de Tokyo" du même auteur, une oeuvre tout de même digne d'intérêt avec une étonnante galerie de personnages secondaires... www.cinefiches.com

5. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Una entretenida película de yakuzas cuya trama resulta, en ocasiones, difícil de seguir debido a lo enrevesado y melodramático de las situaciones. El diseño de producción estilizado y la agilidad del montaje la convierten en una experiencia disfrutable.

6. Lewis Taylor's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Suzuki chews up and spits out a manic concoction of Kurosawa, 50s B-Movie bliss and best of the Hollywood Western. Don't be fooled by the frenetic pace and editing, there is a carefully honed, coherent vision here from the rough n' ready violence to the sharp, kaleidoscopic photography. The source material may feel a little familiar, but man, Suzuki takes the Yakuza genre and doesn't look back.

7. Luis Pires's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

8. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

With blaring, glaring, Kentonian glam gilding its thousand yard stares and cross-crossing snares, Youth of the Beast packs more and maybe better bang than its more storied sequels in the hybrid genre Suzuki was crashing together as he raced along through the 1960s.

9. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Seijun Suzuki is a stylist above all else, and not the kind that seems to have any concern with the likes of plot, character, or making his films in any realm of logic or sense. If you take it at that level, this is a lot of violent, cool fun. If you look for any shred or semblance of story or reason, you will have a considerably less enjoyable time with his films.

10. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

11. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

A trippy roller coaster filled with sexual charge, violence, and lots of color. Suzuki uses virtually every camera trick and editing technique to keep the viewer wondering what's coming next at all times. Sound use, and lack of at times, is wonderful. Purposefully campy. Staging and blocking were truly magical. The movie flowed so well. Loved the deep staging of scenes.

12. janh24's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

13. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

An campy gangster film that echoes the daftness of the Connery inspired period of Bond. There's some innovative cinematography in there, notably the torture pressed up against the glass (camera?), but that's all there is to shout about. The characters are largely forgettable, including stock anti hero, and the plot meanders to a satisfactory, if slightly predictable, conclusion.

14. DrFirestone's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Surprisingly (to me at least) this film reminds early James Bond, (less comic relief in the mix) what's probably best summary. In my opinion it definitely gets better towards the end, including badass ending! If you love Tokyo, this is another reason to watch Youth Of The Beast, an excellent opportunity to experience Tokyo early 60's!

15. Nick Heritage's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Great use of sound, music, geometry and colour. Very sixties, reminded me of James Bond (including a villain with a cat).

16. 'king Harold's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Loved it, fast paced, cross and double cross, brilliant leading man, great fights, love the colours and superb jazz soundtrack.

17. raggiodisole's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

More than passable crime thriller, a good case for pleading influence on later films

18. miles's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

cinematography is beautiful in this, a common storyline but overall stylish and soothing to watch.

19. yash's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

great directing and futuristic editing style.

20. simon's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Good stuff! you can see the influence it had on later films

21. Squashua's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Pretty standard gangster/revenge storyline beefed up by Suzuki's oddball flair for the stylish and the absurd. Definitely feels like an early Bond film and you can tell that this was created under the regulations of a movie studio's expectations rather than being a true representation of the Japanese auteur's work. If you want the full fat triple pounder Suzuki head towards Branded to Kill - it's brilliantly bonkers.

22. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

This Yakuza film is a riff on Yojimbo's often trodden plot with the classy, suit-wearing elegance and cool vibe of a James Bond film. While Joe Shishido is great to watch, Youth of the Beast doesn't really catch a good stride or punch as hard as it could, seeming bogged down by the lack of flow of its narrative. However, the action and style is inventive, and it sports a clever end twist, with a fine last scene.

23. Joe Zaydon's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

Where B-movie absurdity meets A-grade cinematography. Fantastic.

24. Jimmy's rating of the film Youth of the Beast

I'd never heard of this until I spotted it at the public library. I promptly checked it out and loved it. Great style and pacing, a blast to watch. Cool color, line and architecture. I esp. loved the two offices, one looking onto a nightclub, the other behind a movie screen with images running. Recommended.