1. Paul Mallinson's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

Am a huge fan of the Zatoichi series. It's hard to pick a favourite, though the first two are beautiful, sweet and powerful. The whole series (of 26 films) is littered with classics.

2. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

An exciting and surprisingly emotional first chapter in the 20 plus entry long filmic saga of Zatoichi, the blind swordsman. I had seen this before, but revisiting it to kick off a marathon of every film in the series, I was reminded of just how well made and especially well shot and performed this was. The black and white cinematography is often stunning, with more than a couple of great shots.

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

Has a few unfortunate narrative coincidences, but it's a relatively subdued, humble gem that's soaked to the bone with themes about pride, honor, and dignity. Definitely worth a watch.

4. A47's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

"Being good at fighting and killing people is nothing to brag about." I am amazed by this script, in awe of this character and flabergasted by this film's controlled cinematic space. The conflict derives from the character's deeply rooted beliefs; An action film that is greatly human, exciting and beautiful - each image appropriate for the moment, designed just enough to entice, but remain authentic. Flawless.

5. Teresa Silva's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

I wanted to die at your hands.

6. AKFilmFan's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

This samurai film has it all: Comedy, drama, action, suspense, and an underdog hero that it's easy to see why Japan loved it so much they made over 2 dozen more films. What sets it apart from other samurai films is Shintaro Katsu's believable performance and the mounting sense of hopelessness being a yakuza.

7. a Smith's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

There are no winners here. Honor, as always, inspires but is followed by few while naked violence wins the day. The only real disappointment was that it spelled out its (already spelled out) message.

8. Thresk's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

None of the humility of the Zatoichi we see in 3: New Tale or 26: Darkness Is His Ally: here is Zatoichi the gunslinger. Getting some mistakes out of the way early. ★★★

9. Fernando C. Finck's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

10. Kyle Chiba's rating of the film The Tale of Zatoichi

Watch 18 films in the Zatoichi series on Hulu.com just search Zatoichi or Criterion Collection. I really enjoyed it, some beautiful imagery, I loved the shot with Zatoichi and Tane with the moon in the background. Great story, great characters, good drama and action, loved the camera work also. Can't wait to view the rest of the series, Thankyou Criterion for putting them up on Hulu.