1. smndvdcl's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

The Mogwai soundtrack and the near deification of Zidane with a fixated lens almost making the context of the match inert and abstract, is a fascinating cinematic experiment.

2. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Viewed this mostly for Mogwai; I don't rate them as producing great albums, but when their music is at their best, they have some awesome tracks - Black Spider may be the finest here.

3. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

4. ikkini's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Le seul match de foot que j'ai regardé de ma vie. un superbe dispositif, magnifiquement servi par la musique de Mogwai.

5. Oh, hi Denny's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

6. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Football is not as absolute so as to say someone played it better than the rest, but Zizou is certainly the most elegant player we've seen in decades. Abstracted from the complex tactical movement of 22 players in a regular game, and with the cameras all set on him—the star of the film, and on the pitch—he seems to follow directions like an actor, but makes the game his own out of skill and grace.

7. Teguh prayoga's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

8. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

9. anarresti's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Great for a double session with Spike Lee's Kobe Doin' Work. Great for the comparison of cinematographies, of cultures, of sports. This premiered 3 years before Lee's film. And yet the premise is the same for both: have lots of cameras constantly on the athlete. And produce a film, a documentary without comentary, instead of the usual fragmented narrated televised games. An interesting unique way to see an athlete.

10. Ally Lee's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Bad choice for a romantic night in. Still, I enjoyed it.

11. ADZERTY's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Le portrait d'une plénitude fantasmée. La façon dont le match est filmé n'est pas inintéressante, mais que c'est long... ce film prétentieux s'adresse plutôt aux fans de Zizou...

12. Baptiste Bertin's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Zizou's now playing in the US! Enjoy

13. Michelle Z's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Anyone have ideas on when I can get this in the US? It's been in my netflix queue for well over a year now!

14. Hani's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Incredible. I'll write more later. I love Football, I love Cinema, I love Zidane.

15. Th MZA's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Suspiciously patient & abstract, maybe the way a bug-eyed alien watches a soccer match. The sudden appearance of voiceless subtitles in the middle (along w/ hints of political disgust) comes as both a relief and a mindfuck. The game, stripped of its teamwork and its social purpose, becomes a standoff between individual consciousness and the impersonal, immortal perception of time.

16. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

17. galuh indri's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

"Maybe if things are going badly, you become conscious of people's reaction." -Zinedine Zidane

18. Rosa Friedman's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

19. Truls Foss's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

"It wasn't that his words were so important, but the tone, the accent, the atmosphere, was everything..."

20. chrstphrtlbt's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

21. Zarathustrax's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

My Memories of games and events are fragmented. Uno de los quotes del documental que mas me han llegado. Zidane para mi representa muchas cosas, pero sobretodo una increible persona y un magnifico jugador, el mejor que he visto en mi vida. Raul, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Figo, Beckham todos fueron grandes y nunca olvidare sus momentos en el Real. Magic is sometimes very close to nothing at all. Hasta pronto, Zizou!

22. fleshwolrd's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

zidane's widow's peak can see you after he scores you can see him die

23. Rashed's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

An intensely intimate look of a legend at work. I concur with the fact that there's not much here to do with the sport at all - you get to see a man (and believe me, if there ever was a fucking mensch it's Zinedine Zidane) deal with his surroundings in a way that is entirely his own.

24. leefurfur's rating of the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait