1. aliasgenius's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

I genuinely don't know why, but this just didn't really work for me. Maybe I didn't get it. I'm unsure.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

A strange, disturbing, erotic and sometimes frightening film. I would rank this along side "Kwaidan", and "Ugetsu". Extra star for the eyeball licking.

4. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

A strange and enjoyable experience, but not an altogether satisfying one. It is a film that feels as if it needs either more time to showcase the dreamier moments or less time devoted to the little details that ultimately fail to enhance the main narrative.

5. drlurl's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

Seijun Suzuki's 1980 action-drama takes cues from early 20th-century Japanese culture and combines them with the action-flick sensibilities that were ubiquitous in 80's Hollywood. Named after a violin piece which features prominently in the film, Zigeunerweisen plays like a carefully-curated orchestra combining an off-the-wall narrative with vivid colors and a keen eye for well-arranged setting.

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

5 for the creative cinematography, some of the scenes must have taken a million shots to get the shadows right. Not much for plot and story, even though the repetitive nature of the some the plans and the reminders from previous scenes work quite well.

7. Maribou's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

8. c@rley's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

9. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

Bat shit crazy. Yeah, it's definitely surreal alright. Not sure I'm the intended audience. However, it had its moments. They didn't seem to connect at all, which was probably intended. Long stretches of nothing and nonsense. But then with crazy times thrown in, which I did enjoy. Mostly a mixed bag for me.

10. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

11. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

12. kartina obskura's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

3,5 a film without physical laws or truths. a film that sees nothing in front, a blind film. and it knows everything. it boils from the depth unknown and anything can come out. uncomfortable beauty.

13. Verimage's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

Film language / grammar at its highest ...

14. Mellow Dude's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

15. Sunrise's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

While trademark expressionism is subdued (by his age, budgetary constraints and fully aged protagonists) Suzuki feels as though he is finally able to take his time to delve into more complicated allegory and analysis behind the voids and disconnects we create through unrequited desires. What starts as sensual tale of triangular love, ends in ghostly and reflective memory-scape, confirming adult coming-of-age themes.

16. Tamas88's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

The best Japanese film I have seen so far. Amazing photography and screenplay. The character of Nagasako is unforgettable.

17. Jordan H's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

A mysterious, ethereal drama concerning the relationships between and forces within four people; intermittently distorted, like watching someone walk behind a pane of imperfect glass, the form itself intact and then suddenly twisted and obscured, then back again. We're not sure what actually happened, what is dreamed, and what is misremembered.

18. A47's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

"I've been crazy all my life." This is a film largely about labeto. Excellent use of food. Much better acting than some of his other films; The absurdity is more contained and less built into the style of the telling. Parts were utterly hilarious. The score --Wait, was that an eye-lick?! What a charming necrophiliac. Eating on screen is the best! ...I could see how some people might find this offensive...

19. batarde's rating of the film Zigeunerweisen

I just love how they're eating all the time.