Notes et avis

1. leonordbatista's rating of the film Belle de jour

Mas que filme envolvente, (...)

2. Johannes Black's rating of the film Belle de jour

Unforgettable, lyrical cinema, Belle de Jour is an effortless carnival of lust, imagination and mounted shame. Catherine Deneuve is the Parisian “Belle de Jour”, whose nocturnal call for masochistic pleasure transfers into daytime employment at a high-class bordello. A piece of contradiction, scandal and craft, Buñuel’s classic of modern-French cinema is an uproarious journey into the deepest valleys of our passions.

3. Thomas's rating of the film Belle de jour

Perverse and enjoyable drama of fantasy and secret desires. It is a pleasure to watch this collection of colourful characters, sketched as recognisable carictatures. Unfortunately the momentum fizzles out towards the end.

4. Veronika Wellings's rating of the film Belle de jour

A strange story, it is as if Bunuel wants to tease the viewer. Why become a prostitute? Is Severine bored or frigid? There is even a very slight hint at lesbianism. Fantasy overlaps reality, It's not a film I like but Deneuve is superb.

5. MANY THINGS's rating of the film Belle de jour

6. I.Camera's rating of the film Belle de jour

Belle de Jour's reputation may have been let down by its many later imitators, almost all of whom seem to replace its wit & eroticism with exploitation, but it remains one of Bunuel's masterpieces. Deneuve is perfect as the icy, unfulfilled bourgeois wife whose mind drifts into Anais Nin fantasy. The film has a psychological depth and a cynical humour in its more surreal moments, and some beautiful Parisian footage.

7. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Belle de jour

One’s liberation can be another one’s torture, or as in the case of Belle du Jour, the wife’s escape from the suffocating life of virtue leads to the castration and humiliation of the boy scout husband. Self-degradation and sexual submittance and eventually a gangster with broken teeth offer the way to freedom from the husband’s sexual desires. Brilliant, brutal, and comic. Love it.

8. cholla's rating of the film Belle de jour

9. Heidi Wigmore's rating of the film Belle de jour

Gorgeousness...however I had to endure the dubbed version as Mubi doesn’t make it clear that you can change the audio to French with subtitles, I had to work that out for myself. Surely the film should be presented as ‘VO’ rather than the terrible dubbed version? Having said that, the dubbed voices are so bad that it kinda adds to the detached surreal nature of the film....

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Belle de jour

This is a strange, heady brew, making some rather simple points (e.g. about women being judged on their perceived purity, about the danger of bringing fantasies to reality) but doing so with a whole lot of style and wit to keep things from ever being as bleak or torturous as they otherwise could have been.

11. Vic Alexandre-Dorléac's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel's pièce de résistance. A dreamlike world that I try revisiting as often as I can.

12. Simon Bollen's rating of the film Belle de jour

13. Crina Cătălina Bucur's rating of the film Belle de jour

14. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Belle de jour

Michael Piccoli steals this film to me. Every scene in it he OWNS.

15. bartkl's rating of the film Belle de jour

Catherine Deneuve acts her double-life perfectly. Séverine is such a complex character! Her a seemingly fragile, silent personality allows for the interesting contrast with her sexual, "lost" side. The least extravagant Buñuel I've seen so far, which did require my expectations to switch modes, but a wonderful piece of cinema, no doubt.

16. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Belle de jour

[More like 3.5 - but I know it's only my opinion]

17. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Belle de jour

18. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel obsessions thorougly explained. Shocking first scene, even nowadays.

19. vizija's rating of the film Belle de jour

20. AVA's rating of the film Belle de jour

21. Epinephrin's rating of the film Belle de jour

Captivating. The parallel world of the bored wife / partner. Sweet Catherine Deneuve, impeccable looks, body, costumes. Nice cinematography.

22. angeldromero's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel at his finest. This film blends reality and dream in the most genius way, blurring the line more and more as the film keeps going...

23. Walker's rating of the film Belle de jour

24. Eliza Lupu's rating of the film Belle de jour

"-I don't get it. You seem to like being with me. -Very much, but it's not enough. "