Notes et avis

1. FRIEDRICH VON PÉREZ's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Soviets really knew how to do it.

2. lesminho's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

3. JohnNMDA's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Extraordinary to see a film with such a communist aesthetic come out of Hollywood. This could have come out of the Soviet Union in the 30s! I am not denigrating it’s idealism, which is inspiring. I am just shocked that this film was released.

4. Andrea's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

A Hollywood tale about the building of a working class community. The (standard) personal story it begins with leaves room for a collective destiny and completely disappears with the final climax scene.

5. soyemre's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

6. Sonia Marybel's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Lá lucha y organización de una comunidad, como nacían los pueblos . Hoy en día una versión romántica de la sociedad , siendo que todo es difícil , pero muy buena película , solidaria y la unión de los hombres tiene gran poder. No conocía el Director .

7. Rahmanalyst's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

It's a vision of non-inclusive socialism that I just couldn't get on board with - their dissing of Native Americans as scalpers just left such a poor taste in my mouth that the rest of the movie never made it up for me

8. David Crandall's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Endlessly charmed and alarmed by this socialist idyll with its parade of stereotypes, from Karen Morley’s wise slip of a housewife, Tom Keene’s preposterous turn as an idiot-manchild-hero (Hardy Boy for President?), and John Qualen’s ersatz foreigner who knows how to do everything except fix his car. Yes, too bad about the monochromatic cast. And I suspect actual socialism will be much more interesting than this.

9. m00nJaguar's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

The crisis caused by the Great Depression of the 1930s caused many to question the validity of capitalism & explore alternatives. This film reflects socialist values that make it a time capsule, rather than a solid piece of filmmaking.The plot is hokey & naive. The goodhearted "bad guy" is a bad John Wayne impersonator, most other acting rings false. Ends being a flawed attempt at sunny idealism during a dark era.

10. Seesaw's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Film made by people of good mind.

11. I.Camera's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Simplistic propaganda, but well made & forgiveable during the American depression. Vidor may have drawn on Soviet films like Earth in setting up his tale of inexperienced farmers banding together and overcoming any tragedy of the commons. However, given what had just occurred in the Ukraine & other collectivized regions, ODB comes across as naive today, & lacks the depth that Ford would bring to the Grapes of Wrath.

12. Megan Ross's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

This film was a bit difficult to watch considering the year of the production. As typical of the times, the acting was very bad. Even still, it was an insightful view of the daily life during the Great Depression. It was also refreshingly contradictory to its time, using socialism and communism as the pinnacle plot element.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

3.4* Corny socialist propaganda film is all white and minimalizes the two women in it as a housewife and a scheming tramp, but I suppose they meant well at the time that they made it.

14. Loz Loory's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

If there were some people of color in the cast, this movie might not seem so dated. But the Production Code forbid the depiction of different races living together... Still, a refreshing take on the moral dangers of the "American Dream" and the selfishness of Individualism. Ironic farming tale, what with the Dust Bowl in progress. If Oklahoma only had some irrigation, the Dust Bowl could have been stopped...

15. rum and raspberries's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Joyous ending. Overflowing with celebratory headstands, cartwheels, and muddy motorcycle wipeouts. Say what you will about communism, but I don't remember capitalism ever building a waterslide that RAD.

16. Monsieur Simon Cinema's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

nice uplifting film that has some great cinematography in the ending and the digging scene. The end actually had me smiling and laughing would recommend

17. heliocentricworldsvol1's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Relentlessly artificial unless viewed as comedy for the first 45min. There are no characters in this film, just Hollywood tropes. Onlyi n the last twenty five minutes does the film’s presence on Mubi make any sense.

18. jeromey's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Inspiring film for an era when people needed uplifting. Like now, except the communitarian feeling and idealism of the Great Depression have been replaced in our times by the self-serving cynicism embodied in Barbara Pepper’s character—all for one, and I’m the one. A triumph of photography, editing and music score.

19. Saar's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

A nice view of the depression age. The ideal of building for all. The boredom of dealing for all. and the idea of leaving it and looking out for you. All in all, a positive film about working for more than you.

20. olikim's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

A Hollywood version of Earth+Turksib

21. Ignatz's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

Just goes to show you that you can produce a complete piece of shit film irrespective of your politics or the best of intentions.

22. Kenneth Gentry's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

"What we have to do is help ourselves to help others."

23. no ice's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

24. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Notre pain quotidien

I love Vidor's humanistic stories but the execution was all wrong. The really cheesy dialogue does not help.