Per una migliore esperienza su MUBI, aggiorna il tuo browser.

Notes et avis

1. xuxuxush's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

disaffection at its most tender and alluring

2. Mattia Ricotta's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

3. josé neves's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

DCP, rewatched. Queer Lisboa.

4. Semaj Rose's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

A slow, low budget debut with little in the way of story development or conclusion, Rebels manages to enchant regardless due to compelling visual story telling paired with great acting and character work. I was not bothered by its slice of life type, but your mileage may vary as there are decidedly a lot of "people doing random things and talking" scenes. Though these contrast nicely with the strong use of silence.

5. Muhammad Sabil Waso's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

6. MisterColo93's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

7. Jon's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

It's almost hard to see this with fresh eyes after being saturated with so much East Asian cinematic ennui in the years since it came out. But Tsai was helping to lead the charge, and his aching modern malaise still resonates. Formal rigor, humor, and modulation of tone become more refined later, but the seeds are all here.

8. Aldo vs's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

9. askapsaskis's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

At the first glimpse of the flooded apartment, I got an idea of what I was in for. I suppose it's quite valuable to have these unsentimental depictions of the loud slow assault of Melancholy.

10. nicolecahali's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

maravilhoso! fotografia incrível e roteiro demais! em outras letras/personagens poderia ser um filme em copacabana rsrs gostei bastante!

11. Salma's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

Placeholder rating until I watch it again!

12. Elephants Gerald's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

I've only seen this and GOODBYE DRAGON INN, and only based on the two I'd say Ming-Liang's sumptuous crawl better suits the gentle, goofy, lonely experience of the theater-going experience, much more than a youth-in-revolt melodrama.

13. Adam GR's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

Shards of vantages. Taipei caught in its 90s vibrancy. Tsai Ming-liang plays a bit of existential puppetry, but allows his characters to exist on their own. That score is dank. The ending shot makes it a bit masterful.

14. laura's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

compulsively watchable and heart-rending

15. David R Williams's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

"... one of the great modern films about big cities and the...psychic toll of living in them." There's a "Rebel without a Cause" vibe here. Disenfranchised, disillusioned, disaffected youth moving through a souless world that cares less about them than they care about it. "....as muted and slow-burning as you expect a Tsai film to be, but just as often, it’s vibrant, nervy, altogether rock ’n’ roll".

16. Tornasol's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

El primer Tsai. Con todos sus delirios de tristeza, melancolía y silencio. Ah... y la lluvia y el agua desbordada que no tienen sus personajes.

17. Loz Loory's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

Bleak with a side of bleak. The lead has great James Dean-esque sex appeal. The taxi driver's son lacks the ability to create anything, but he's creative with methods of destruction. Not sure if anything is cut and dry, except that the woman is setting herself up for terrible heartbreak. Also, people might want to leave notes when they duck out for cigarettes. It saves agony at home.

18. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

I just started losing interest about three quarters of the way through. Very promising but I kept wanting to jump in the film and resolve the action for the characters.

19. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

I always say it's interesting to see a great director's first film, because it shows the raw roots for which they build upon and Tsai Ming-Liang is no exception. This film shows the genesis of the distant love triangle, which he would later perfect in his follow up film Vive l'Amour, and his use of sparse dialogue. I think what's missing here is the longer takes, which would become one of his key ingredients...

20. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

It’s difficult for me to watch movies about disaffected teens because I was always the most affected teen!

21. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

Those kids are about as engaged with life as I was with this movie.

22. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

(3.5 stars) Disaffected youth is not just a western problem it seems. They're EVERYWHERE! Heh. Kind of sad, lonely and depressing throughout most of this film. However, the director does a good job of capturing the essence of these characters through looks, behavior and very brief dialogue. It's really a solid film, even if the subject matter is a little bleak.

23. Marlboro_Fawn's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon

The elements of later Ming-Liang are all here, but so is a youthful energy that would later slip away in favor of more meditative minimalism. Joy is still a possibility, though fleeting as poverty ensnares it, slowly submerging everything like the water in the apartment. Capitalistic drudgery awaits to crush these characters, as explored in the director's next film Vive l'amour.

24. mimivulturul's rating of the film Les rebelles du dieu néon