MUBI पर बहेतर अनुभव के लिए, अपना ब्राउज़र अपडेट कीजिए.

रेटिंग्स और समीक्षाएं

1. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Sunset

To start with a platitude: political is personal, and the best grand stories are told from the personal perspective. Here it’s the modist shifting between two callings, the revolutionary brother and the legacy of the parents. Beyond fine storytelling Sunset is also very intensive experience, thanks to all the close-ups, the camera running behind the characters, and the resolute protagonist who just won’t give up.

2. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Sunset

Jude's SCARRED HEARTS is better at forlorn, prophetic end-of-the-empire melancholy, but there's no doubt Nemes's hyper-textured, immersive tale of a young woman whose search for her past can't help but destroy it is quite impressive.

3. matelot's rating of the film Sunset

4. Superfrog's rating of the film Sunset

I am afraid I was unable to get what this film was about, is it a metaphor, is it a straightforward drama, is it a fight club remake. Add to this the shaky camera and the odd I found the focus ring and I can do all this amazing creative focus shots that are not really amazing. If it wasn't a grueling experience due to the lack of actually offensive contents, it was one that left me entirely unmoved.

5. josé neves's rating of the film Sunset

Cinema. The stereophonic sound of this film (and of his previous one), filling the whole space out of the image in grandiosity and omnipresence, doesn't offer a concomitant imaginary imagery, but only a noisy complementarity. We endure a crispy face and camera for more than two hours to reach another flushed travelling that concludes with an image of the actress looking at us, with her usual immutable expression?

6. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Sunset

With Sunset, Laszlo Nemes has cemented himself as one of the most intriguing auteurs working today!

7. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Sunset

Quel film creux et insupportable.

8. saitosouta's rating of the film Sunset

4.5 Budapest, one of the most beautiful city in the world, becomes a labyrinthine pandemonium which stirs audience's brain. Hellish long-take, suffocatingly sinister atmosphere, sublime shadows on the protagonist's face. All the elements proliferate its mystery like bacilli which corrupts our world tranquilliy. If highly manipulative, "Sunset" is a masterful enigma by a young Hungarian maestro, Nemes László.

9. dionysus67's rating of the film Sunset

From Klimov's greatest disciple, this is a genuinely cinematic dive into the WWI enigma. Filmed in draped colors and gloriously lit, Nemes' film puts the 'Saul' style to better effect. The 'causeless' evil erupts from impeccable surfaces, which turn the firm's name to a pun to denote the schizoid doubling of the European mind. Superbly acted, its hazy style immerses the viewer into the abyss prior to the trenches.

10. "Mother" Gin Sling's rating of the film Sunset

11. noice's rating of the film Sunset

12. johmus's rating of the film Sunset

Even though Nemes is strolling along a similar path to his debut film then his sophomore feature is told with a completely different agenda. It's longevity keeps the viewer's gaze utterly enthralled as one has to endure along with the protagonist in the world of insecurity, disappointment, treachery and greed while constantly hoping that justice will prevail. A film for softies who aren't afraid of epic momentum.

13. Aukse's rating of the film Sunset

14. Tom Rubendall's rating of the film Sunset

15. Kasra Karbasi's rating of the film Sunset

When your visual style is to follow your protagonist so closely behind his/ her head, and eliminating the world around, like we're inside the character's head and all the action is subjective, the most brilliant idea might be to make a film about "hats". A film about the shape and figures of hats and how to compose them in images. About different kinds of "movement" inside the frame. And about light.

16. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Sunset

A young woman essentially sleepwalks through mounting violence. Nemes's shtick is more effective here than in Son of Saul, where a simple narrative structure frames a dazzling and disorienting walkabout through Budapest just before the start of WWI. Also, gorgeous hats!

17. Andrew Lang's rating of the film Sunset

Laszlo Nemes' cinematic instincts are strong, his narrative ones less so. Beautifully shot and sound designed though it is, the incoherence of the story is such that I found it impossible to care what happened to the protagonist. It's an incredibly bold and ambitious project from one of the most exciting filmmakers in the world, but the techniques that made Son of Saul a masterpiece prove to be its downfall.

18. angelicidea's rating of the film Sunset

An immersive film again from one of the most exciting Hungarian directors at the moment. You have to work for it, let go of following a narrative, and snap out of expecting it to conform to genre conventions.

19. Gabrielė Norkūnaitė's rating of the film Sunset

It has its shortcomings and is a bit too similar to Saul's son. I am still a sucker for the stories of how the evil is born and the thin line between rising nationalism and violence.

20. CC's rating of the film Sunset